Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roe on moorland

roe on moorland

I've just obtained a new roe deer permission.

Hill sheep farm (ranging from 250-500m) mostly open moor but with patches of conifer plantation and some broadleaf woodland in valley bottom.

Evidence of roe in the woods and some badly browsed new planted broadleaf saplings.

My question to the more experienced in upland stalking: how likely are roe to appear in the open ground away from the woods? Most of the open ground is unimproved - mix of heather, bogs and marshy burn valleys.

I have seen large numbers of roe on moorland in Perthshire (above Blairgowrie), which surprised me. Oddly, they're mostly does. Is this a more general pattern, or a local idiosyncrasy?

All comments/observations very much appreciated.

I was out with a head keeper one morning on similar ground. We watched a group of roe move up onto the moor and clearly they were going to spend the day up there. They grazed and then found a sunny spot out of the wind to lie down and chew the cud. We left them in peace, but it would have been just like stalking red deer had we decided to bother them.

Regards

JCS

You will see them out on the moors particularly if it's midgy etc. in. The woods. Also depends on the food. Roe are quite fond of marshy boggy bits. One shoot down in the borders I know well has a large rushy area (40/50) acres around a large pond. Roe are always in there and not in the deep dark woods.

There will most likely be. Mountain hares up there as well. If there are lots of sheep, that might well put off the roe.

90% of my Roe are shot on open boggy moors,
    The roe up here love pine plantations and until the trees reach a hight of about 10-15 feet they are over run, but then the population goes down rapidly and the deer have a huge terratory.
    On the open more [providing theres plenty of fresh water] the population remains stable.

Quote Originally Posted by levigsp View Post
    90% of my Roe are shot on open boggy moors,
    The roe up here love pine plantations and until the trees reach a hight of about 10-15 feet they are over run, but then the population goes down rapidly and the deer have a huge terratory.
    On the open more [providing theres plenty of fresh water] the population remains stable.
    That's really useful - thanks.

What sort of numbers do you see on the moor? And are there many sheep around?

They seem to take turns in moving away from woods, out on to higher ground. When I worked in Glen Shee, it wasn't uncommon to see them well out the hill at over 2,000 feet. As JCS said, they're just like stalking reds on the open hill. You may be surprised at how large the population turns out to be though....

No sheep and good numbers of roe.

I regularly stalk roe 1 mile + from the nearest trees on the hill in Inverness-shire. It's great stalking, very like the reds on the same ground. The roe seem to be resident there as although the heather is shortish (burnt on rotation as it's a grouse moor) there is good patches of juniper scrub for cover. I've seen the same in Aberdeenshire with gorse patches.

As you'd expect the bucks' heads are poorer quality - I guess a combination of poorer feeding and being kicked out of the woods by the bigger boys.

on one piece of ground I stalk the reds take up the woodland area and the roe stick to the open moorland they love it, you do get the odd roe on the outskirts of the woodland but prefare the moorland and all the areas around the woods, when the reds start rutting and go higher up onto the moorland areas the roe move in. its always amazing to lay up and watch areas at certain times you start seeing the roe get up and start mooching around, you can spend hours watching for ears twitching then things come alive, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Hill roe are very interesting. I'd like to do more of this type of stalking .