Thread: Hornady gmx in 6.5

Hornady gmx in 6.5

Just got some 120gr 6.5 gmx bullets. Plan to load them in 6.5x55. anyone got an idea of COAL as a starting point? Cannot find any data on the net.
    I have an accurate load for 120gr amax but they are significantly shorter so am reluctant to load to this coal as it will cause a potential pressure issue.
    cheers for your help.

BE

Just load the base of the bullet to the base of the case neck and start from there.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

By base do you mean end of boat tail or where sides are parallel?

The Hornady manual has 2.905" as the COAL

Insert the bullet to the base of the parallel sides.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Just got some 120gr 6.5 gmx bullets. Plan to load them in 6.5x55. anyone got an idea of COAL as a starting point? Cannot find any data on the net.
    I have an accurate load for 120gr amax but they are significantly shorter so am reluctant to load to this coal as it will cause a potential pressure issue.
    cheers for your help.

BE
    When you say "potential pressure issue" do you mean a compressed load…i.e. pressure on the powder charge? I would have thought you would get more pressure issues in the chamber having a Guilding Metal bullet too far out and too close to the lands.

Presumably you will be starting with a lower than the maximum load you worked up to with the other bullet…so there should be more space between bullet tail and charge…at least while you establish the dynamics of the new bullet and your rifle.

The Hornady Manual gives 2.905" for both 120gr. A-MAX® and 120gr. GMX®

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 21-07-2015 at 16:11.

Hi Alan
    thanks. The load I have for amax is mid way up the ladder and I was concerned with the significant length increase with the gmx it could as you rightly say become a compressed load. I am shooting 6.5x55 so the chamber will take bullets much longer than the 120 so it is unlikely that this gmx will be against the lands but have a coal measure and will check.
    Based on hornady data it looks like loading some up at the same length and drop the load by a few percent if the way to go.
    I tend to load develop by the OCW method do length is less critical initially.
    cheers got your help.

BE