Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inverness Firearms dept.

Inverness Firearms dept.

Evening all,

I am led to believe that there is a new officer dealing with the majority of home visits regarding renewals and variations etc. in the Highland area. From what I've heard he has devised a new form for renewals which you now have to get signed by all of your permission owners and the form is quite in depth asking what calibre and what species the land owner is giving you permission to shoot. How long you are allowed to shoot there for is also another question. There are quite a few other questions that I can't remember off hand but I have seen this form and it also has to be signed by the land owner and sent back.
    Has anyone already been through this procedure? I'd be interested to know. I would also like to know how this one officer can enforce this if he has created this for himself?

Any thoughts on this?

I would say that can't be enforced what a pity Inverness had such a good office as well

Quote Originally Posted by topscots1 View Post
    I would say that can't be enforced what a pity Inverness had such a good office as well
    That's what I thought. Always been very easy to deal with. I've also been told that he is going to make it his business to make sure all cartridges are properly locked away.
    Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come.

I'm outside Inverness by a few miles and recently had a variation just before my renewal and then my coterminous renewal dealt with by the same PC. He told me he is pretty much doing firearm renewal/varations full time these days. He also dealt with my father and my brothers renewals. If its the same chap I cant fault him and has been a pleasure to deal with. I dont know about any forms for permissions as we have the farm to shoot over. But I told him I do shoot several other places too. No forms to fill in.

If it's the same guy he's not the sort of chap to go looking for issues. He's actually just getting into shooting himself. As I said I cant fault him and seemed thoroughly decent and straightforward.

I know of about 6 or 7 folk here who have had their renewals done by him within the last few months and all have found the same. Possibly he is covering the more rural areas though and not Inverness itself???

Quote Originally Posted by farmer7 View Post
    I'm outside Inverness by a few miles and recently had a variation just before my renewal and then my coterminous renewal dealt with by the same PC. He told me he is pretty much doing firearm renewal/varations full time these days. He also dealt with my father and my brothers renewals. If its the same chap I cant fault him and has been a pleasure to deal with. I dont know about any forms for permissions as we have the farm to shoot over. But I told him I do shoot several other places too. No forms to fill in.

If it's the same guy he's not the sort of chap to go looking for issues. He's actually just getting into shooting himself. As I said I cant fault him and seemed thoroughly decent and straightforward.

I know of about 6 or 7 folk here who have had their renewals done by him within the last few months and all have found the same. Possibly he is covering the more rural areas though and not Inverness itself???
    Oh well I do hope that you are right. I have seen the form myself and it certainly isn't going to make renewals as easy or straight forward for people who don't have their own land.

I would have thought it was ilegal for him to do that as there is nothing in legistlation that says he can get these forms signed by anyone, in fact exactly the oppersite.

I'm just about to renew my certificate and there are a few pages to fill in.

The form asks you to name one landowner and also supply address/phone number.

Sounds like he's being efficient by getting you to have paperwork prepared re land forms which will have any questions he would have answered.

Rather than it being sinister it's probably to save him and the admin folk the hassle of follow up enquires when they're already stretched. Not quite trial by SD time yet boys.

As for the checking security of cartridges thing, again that's his job and if you have a problem with it why?

Firearms and ammunition get stolen far more often than you'd think and the majority of the time it is due to the owner not securing it properly or taking sensible precautions.
    Last edited by Mick9abf; 19-07-2015 at 10:37.

Police Scotland have a new land permission form which goes into far greater depth than previous legacy forms. However, there is no legal obligation to complete this form, witten permission can be in any format from your landowner/occupier.

I've just renewed my Fac in the last 6 weeks, don't no if it's the same FAO but I was asked for similar info. I just gave him photo copies of some of my permissions and and he was happy with that.