Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New BDS Course

New BDS Course

Hi all

What are SD site members thoughts on the new BDS training course/portfolio.

Seems to be running like an evidence gathering scheme and the award is split in to Bronze, Silver and Gold. It's is not just deer related courses that aquire you points to each level but things like chainsaw competency etc.

Reasonably priced at around 100 for all three awards if brought at the same time.

All the best

JS

Have you got a link to it ? I can't find anything with a quick search.

It looks good as it recognises holistic commitment to deer management. I'd like to think that I could jump straight in at Gold level for the cost of 100, but I doubt it would gain me anything extra at this point in time other than personal pride?
    I could of course then put "BDS Gold Member" as my signature!
    MS

I'm wondering if any of us can go in straight at gold, that would be a nice signature also be handy to add to ones CV I will add the link / photo as soon as I get in.
    JS

Quote Originally Posted by Sivell View Post
    I'm wondering if any of us can go in straight at gold, that would be a nice signature also be handy to add to ones CV I will add the link / photo as soon as I get in.
    JS
    Don't see why not? I've done pretty much every course imaginable including BDS Deer managers course, Deer Impact assessor, First Aid, RCO, etc..
    I'd guess that being an AW or higher might earn a few points too?
    I can't find any other info as yet other than that printed in the latest copy of 'Deer' magazine which arrived yesterday. It does say though that "Full details of the scheme will be available on the BDS website after the official launch at the CLA Game Fair where members of the training team will be available to answer any questions which stalkers have".
    It's quite encouraging that none of the usual 'anti education, qualification and training brigade' haven't been on here to berate it yet?
    I'm sure they will be along shortly!
    MS

Some thought has gone into it taking account of existing certification rather than being told you have to do it their way or nothing. A step in the right direction for once. Is it worth it as you will have got you DSC and other certificates that stand alone in there own right. Need more information as to what the scheme is actually selling other than another certificate for the certificates you already have.
    Just of to re read the article in the latest BDS mag on it for more clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    It looks good as it recognises holistic commitment to deer management. I'd like to think that I could jump straight in at Gold level for the cost of 100, but I doubt it would gain me anything extra at this point in time other than personal pride?
    I could of course then put "BDS Gold Member" as my signature!
    MS

Ah but B.A.S.C. Will be along in a minute with a Platinum one. Oops sorry wrong thread.

Whats that Jim, You applying for the Platinum one????? Do believe you would make a good trainer for some of these lads!!!!! John
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

60 points for Lev and Lev 2 as a pair. Looks like we are going to be trained out of the Park lol. 100 for a badge that's got to be a real expensive Badge. It will only really take off if the Commission DI and SNH desire it.

If this carries on we will be knee deep in paper and keyboard stalkers with no practical ability
    Last three so called qualified stalkers I took to Scotland
    one could not hit a barn door (paper punching was OK)
    second got up the hill without bolt or ammo (was given two rocks by the owner)
    Third could not aquire a red hind in the scope at 100yds.
    Oh there was a fourth who tried to remove the back leg during the gralloch
    I was totally and told never to take anymore idiots there

without mentioning names all had L2 one has deer management cert another is now an AW!!!