Thread: Trouble fixing Roe skull to shield

Trouble fixing Roe skull to shield

Hi, I managed to shoot a bronze medal buck in 2013.
    I am now finally looking at mounting the skull on a shield.
    The skull is uncut and the shield and fixing brackets are from Monarch Country Products.
    My problem is that the fixing bracket wont locate far enough into the skull to enable the screw to engage.
    I dont want to be heavy handed and bugger it up.
    Any tips or others that have had bother?

I've used plaster board fixings in the past,the ones that open out. Not sure what the proper name for them is

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    I've used plaster board fixings in the past,the ones that open out. Not sure what the proper name for them is
    Spring toggles

A white cable tie is very effective and suprisingly discreet. You just need to make one large (half inch / three quarter inch) hole from the back of the back of the shield to about half the thickness of the wood to act as a recess for the locking part of the cable then two smaller holes from within the edges of the big hole to allow the cable to pass through the shield.

I've used epoxy resin in the past to good effect, too
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

I have done a few recently and settled on using epoxy to glue a screw in the back and then a nut either side of the shield.

Not sure if this fantastic drawing will upload or even help, but here goes anyway

This is a cross section, hopefully obviously....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roe.pdf  
    Last edited by stuartp; 20-07-2015 at 11:34.

Thanks for the replies. I think that I might try the cable tie option.

I was dubious about spring toggles when I first heard someone mention them but having a few about, I tried them and they work really really well - on long nose cut roe and muntjac anyway. Cheap and quick - whats not to like!

Its easy, you need a dry wall plug. Basically drill hole in base of skull insert dry wall plug. Put skull on shield and ascertain where to drill a hole approx 2 mm bigger in dia then the screw you intent to use. Drill hole and insert long screw counter sink on back of shield and done.

Its dead easy suggest you practice on an old bit of ply before going live. I will attempt to post some pictures

D