Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Target .22 LR ammo

Target .22 LR ammo

In keeping with the threads on Target .22 LR and long range .22 shooting, I am curious what ammunition you use in the UK for your most accurate rifles, and for hunting.

All .22 LR is scarce as hen's teeth in the USA, and expensive.
    I decided to try a box of RWS 40-gr match ammo, and bought it yesterday....$9.00 for 50 !!!. That used to buy 500 CCI, Remington, or Winchester a few years ago.
    They had RWS Subsonic, too. Maybe I should try some of those, too, $6.99 a box.
    Last edited by Southern; 20-07-2015 at 17:07.

All I use are Winchester subsonics. 6.34 a box of 50, or about 55 for a brick. That's about on a par with your RWS I think?

I was in Georgia a couple of years ago, and just loved Cabelas and Gander Mountain! You guys have it right when it comes to shopping for hunting & fishing gear!
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    In keeping with the threads on Target .22 LR and long range .22 shooting, I am curious what ammunition you use in the UK for your most accurate rifles, and for hunting.
    As a target shooter, I use Eley Match. The only difference between that and Eley Tenex that I can see is the colour of the box and the price, though Match isn't exactly cheap either... I can do sub 1" groups at 100 yards (wind permitting).

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post

All .22 LR is scarce as hen's teeth in the USA, and expensive.
    I decided to try a box of RWS 40-gr match ammo, and bought it yesterday....$9.00 for 50 !!!. That used to buy 500 CCI, Remington, or Winchester a few years ago.
    This will give you an indication of typical .22 target ammo prices. http://www.nsrashop.co.uk/collections/ammunition?page=1
    With careful buying most of us that belong to clubs can knock a fair bit off those prices.

Members of our club use a mixture of SK which is made by Lapua (mainly gallery rifle).
    The small bore precision boys use mainly RWS50 or Eley club/match. A couple of the more serious prone guys with pretentions will buy Eley Tennex.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Geco solids are worth a try, very accurate in my old Anschutz.
    RWS HP subs for Rabbits very accurate too.

for target shooting I use batch tested tenex, then use a tuner to decrease the group size, never buy tenex off the shelf total waste of money, R50 performs very good off the shelf, same as Midas, there are very few people can see the difference at the top end of the 22 ammo suppliers products, even after batch testing, like most people find out it is what shoots best in their rifle, the rifle I use is a 20 series Anschutz, with a lilja barrel and a beesting tuner, consistently shoots sub 10mm groups @ 50M, as for the sporting side I find eley subs works ok and they come at a good price, which is the main reason

steve

Most bench rest smallbore shooters in the UK who are any good use RWS R50 - Tenex is not as good!

+1 on RWS - be it the Semi Auto, R50 or the Target Rifle - great consistency, no duds with the only slight downside being that they're a little more on the waxy side out of the box
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

I find Lapua CentreX very good in my Anschutz (6.50 a box). I tested it with rifle in a bench vice and it's very consistent. Of course it depends what level you want to compete at.

I have not competed in .22 rifle in decades. I was just curious as to what you were finding as quality ammunition.

I some of you also hunt with the higher end ammunition. So do I. Three of my hunting .22s are capable of sub-MOA with top ammunition they like. For normal hunting, just offhand 50 and 75 yard shots, this is not necessary, but for 100 yards and beyond, the better ammunition is necessary for me.

But some rifles shoot cheaper ammunition very well. My S&W M&P 15-22 has a tight chamber and throat, so it shoots the smaller diameter CCI Mini Mags very well, better than the larger Winchester and Remington bulk .22.