Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know of a gunslip suitable for an R8 thumbhole Success?

Anybody know of a gunslip suitable for an R8 thumbhole Success?

Does anybody know which gunslips will fit an R8 with the thumbhole Success stock?

The distance between the sight and the bottom of the pistol grip is too wide for any of the ones I have.

The leg of lamb style with a narrow barrel sleeve are no good because the pistol grip is below the line between the muzzle and the bottom of the recoil/shoulder pad and lifts the scope and the angle of the barrel from a standard stock.

I have looked at adverts for the Napier Stalker, the Harkila Skane and the Guardian Heritage but have no idea if they will work.

I was hoping to avoid a rectangular drag bag style, but it may be the only way to be sure, unless someone has knowledge...

Alan

Hi Alan,

I have one that works from William Evans...it's a snug fit but it works...retails at 45 but was 35 only a year or so ago. Am sure these must be available on the web for cheaper (without the William Evans bit stitched onto it no doubt):

http://www.williamevans.com/products...le-slip-pocket

In all honesty it's factory-made tat and very light but it fits and has a useful side pocket.
    My scope is 50mm if that makes a difference but am pretty sure it'd take a 56mm scope...

Thank you for the reply. I will have a look at it…half the price of the others so good news!

I lost my first draft of the original post and failed to mention in the second attempt that I can't get my rifle in to the existing slips with the moderator on which is 40mm and makes the OAL 1200mm (47")

Alan

I have my slips made to measure by Bishnym Products in Devon, they look very much like the ones that are sold by several other companys !
    I ring them up and give my measurments and it usually turns up a few days later.
    I got one recently for my Maral with the muzzle brake which made it just 2" longer than normal and it turned up for the princely sum of 35 + P&P.

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I will have a look at it…half the price of the others so good news!

I lost my first draft of the original post and failed to mention in the second attempt that I can't get my rifle in to the existing slips with the moderator on which is 40mm and makes the OAL 1200mm (47")

Alan
    Heh Alan...yes, is ok with a Mod on too....for me anyway, with a Hardy mod on the R8...you kinda wriggle it into the end and it works fine.

Having said that EMcM's suggestion sounds better and if you can supply measurements you have complete comfort it will fit.
    Good luck either way.

Boyt waxed canvas gun slip for a scoped rifle with a side pocket. $100 USD.

Since it is a Blaser and the barrel pops off, why not a soft contoured case for a scoped AR-15, like a 36-inch long Voodoo Tactical for $50.00?

Thank you all.

@EMcC
    The Bishnym Earl at 50" looks the ideal shape, and is almost exactly what I had in mind. I will send them a dimensioned sketch. Oooh...Just found their Marquis range which look even nicer!

@Southern...

The Boyt looks nice but it is very similar in shape to my existing rifle and scope slips which do not have sufficient depth/width to cope with the pistol grip. One could almost do with a bulge top and bottom. As far as the take down case goes..apart from the usual reluctance to change a system / habit…The main function is just to slide the rifle behind the front seats when travelling. I have a rifle-or-two space in front of the dog crate and the overhang of the deer tray. A rifle in a slip just tucks under a loop of the carpet which lines the back and is well hidden. I could find a side pocket useful, but not when sliding it into the space in car. I also did not want the hassle of assembling the rifle when tiptoeing around trying not to make a sound or show any light pre-dawn. I have been carrying the rifle to the high seat in the slip and only taking it out there when on a pre-dawn stint. Which also gives me somewhere to put the rifle while gralloching...if I get lucky.

Thank you all again for the suggestions.

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 21-07-2015 at 15:19.

The Aim fieldsports range are worth a look and are bombproof

I got a canvas & leather one made to measure for mine from an outline drawn on some lining paper by Quality Gunslips. Beautifully made and excellent service.

I followed EMcC's advise and sent a dimensioned photo to Bishnym products and it took them a week to make me a Marquis extra extra wide cover. I could have had one of the Earl ones from stock.

I think the gun would have fit fine in one a couple of inches narrower, so possibly the extra wide or even standard one would have worked given their rectangular format and proportions.

The materials and construction are really robust and will give great protection.

Thank you all for your replies.

Alan