Why do hares come in to a squeak?

.Skinner.

Hi all :)

The land I stalk over has an abundance of hares, and I am intrigued by one aspect of their behavior. Why oh why, upon me beginning to squeak for foxes after a fruitless evening stalking, do hares feel the need to come running in?!

I understand that hares have an inquisitive nature... but surely if the whole idea is that the noise is an imitation of a dying/distressed rabbit/hare, there is a good chance that danger is in the area so they should want to stay away?? It just seems a response not very conducive to their survival... Maybe their curiosity outweighs fear of any potential danger.

On Saturday night I called one in from around 150 yards to about 3 feet from where I stood!

Any ideas?

I was always led to believe the squeak sounds like a distressed youngster and that's why they come in to it so readily

And leverets are none to smart sometimes! I found this wee fella sitting in the middle of my lane one afternoon. Absolutely no fear of me whatsoever

Attachments

• Leveret.jpg
    Leveret.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 65
Mackenzie Thorpe "The wild goose man" used to call them to shoot them for the pot , The book of the same title is a cracking read.
atb blue

And leverets are none to smart sometimes! I found this wee fella sitting in the middle of my lane one afternoon. Absolutely no fear of me whatsoever

Great pic bet you see a lot laying flat pretending there not seen till you almost stand on them. I think there great creatures and love seeing them in the lamp. We suffer from dog men though and the poor hares take a beating.

We suffer from dog men though and the poor hares take a beating

I don't shoot hares any more. I haven't for about 30 years now, ever since I wounded one and had to follow it up. Poor thing screamed like a baby all the way & it left a scar. I don't like seeing Puss shot these days. We have a lot in these parts, but they cause remarkably little damage

Agree with you there on the damage front very little when compared to rabbits and deer for example. I only shoot them if somebody wants one for the pot otherwise there best left alone and don't cause any harm to anyone. The only issue with them as stated above they tend to attract the undesirables.

My landowner likes them and so I don't shoot them. I like them too actually. Their numbers seem to have increased dramatically in the last couple of years. Which is good news. Gets tricky when rabbit shooting with NV though. In grainy black and white a young hare looks very like a rabbit until it moves.
I had a hare come up to the Landrover last night. And now you mention it, I had just squeaked a distant fox. The hare appeared and lolloped round the car and sat under the driver's window. I leaned out of the window and watched it and it cocked an eye at me and carried on munching, completely unconcerned.
They don't seem to be as smart as rabbits. Its just as well they're not a target species because they're suicidally bold.

Thanks all for the replies! I am the same Finch, my landowner doesn't want them shot but there are SO many.. I love to see them too but if the landowner was okay with it I would take a few occasionally... they probably outnumber rabbits 5:1 on my land!!

The brown hare is doing remarkably well in these parts, I don't shoot many but always take the odd one for the slow cooker. . personally I think it makes one of the finest stews. I also remember my old Grandmother making hare soup with the blood, absolutely delicious.

Have you ever wondered why foxes come into a squeek? Its because it sounds like animal in distress. But how often would a fox come across an animal that is in distress making that nouse ? Well sitting in a high seat I watched two rabbits fighting and the loser starts to squeal. The other rabbits were watching the fight taking place. So my guess is the other rabbits or hares are curious to see who is fighting.

Hares are beautiful creatures and so easy to call,lips on palm of hand. Haven't shot one with a shotgun since a hare drive in 76 when a great many were wounded by people shooting them too far away. If we fancy one to eat on the odd occasion I head shoot them with a .17HMR.

Back