Thread: Bird feeders

Bird feeders

Hi folks

Moved and settled into a far bigger property with lovely garden & conservatory , few trees etc.... Fine area for my bird table and some feeders from the trees.
    So I can sit with a capo tea and watch the various birds etc get 5 minutes
    Peace ....
    But.....
    I have one of those tube hanging style you hang & birds feed n perch round the bottom .... But bejesus I filled it in morning and hour n half later it's empty ! Ends up all over the deck Either wind swinging,it about or the birds......

So
    Anyone any advice or experience with decent quality bird feeders and where you get em ?

Paul

I made a massive one once out of that brown waste pipe and some end caps etc. It was suprisingly easy with a hole saw and the correct glue. It held nearly a whole sack of food. I only put four feeding holes at the bottom as the main object of the exercise was to make filling easier and less frequent.

No bad thing that some gets spilled as that allows the ground feeding birds to have a go too. It does attract squirrels but maybe reds in your area?

A shop near us sells a plastic screw on top with a hanger which converts 2 litre pop bottles into a large feeder. My small conventional feeders at best last a day and a half, these big ones last a week or so. If you want to try one drop me a PM and I'll send you one.

A lot of prepacked wild bird food is bulked out with wheat a lot of the smaller birds won't eat it especially when there is something more enticing in the feeder, with the result it gets pulled out and discarded where it ends up taking root.
    Think I will need to get a combine into the garden this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    A lot of prepacked wild bird food is bulked out with wheat a lot of the smaller birds won't eat it especially when there is something more enticing in the feeder, with the result it gets pulled out and discarded where it ends up taking root.
    Think I will need to get a combine into the garden this year.
    I find two GSP's are quite effective at hovering up the wheat!

My feeders hang above a "oversized" bird table I made. This works well as the ground feeders hoover up what's on the table.

Well thanks to VIGILAIRE
    On here & his generosity !
    He send through a couple of bird bottle tops .....
    Basically a wee plastic dispenser that fits onyo almost any 2litre plastic pop bottle ....
    Seem to be a bit more restrained in throwing the stuff out , see how birdies like them ....
    Thank you very much sir !!!
    And a great & cheap way to get a bunch of feeders in the garden

Thank you again
    Little things like this that restore your faith in humanity :-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438025750.023683.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	378.6 KB 
ID:	59547

Paul