Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFD Transfer

RFD Transfer

Evening all,
    A question please to the forum re rfd transfers.
    Having decided to possibly buy a rifle from a dealer in Leeds they tell me they cannot legally send it to my rfd. However they sent one to my rfd last year.... they say it has to be face to face but I am miles away so therefore I have to send them my FAC , they sign on the new gun and post it back to me and then the rifle goes to my rfd afterwards. Surely they cannot be in possession of my fac by law..... They swear it is illegal doing rfd transfers and "the police are tightening up on this type of thing, aye up lad" How come, therefore everyone one else on guntrader advertises friendly transfer rfd for 20....how they stay in business is amazing. Any ideas gents ?? I know they are talking crap.
    Those who can, do it. Those who can't, teach it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Parsons View Post
    Evening all,
    A question please to the forum re rfd transfers.
    Having decided to possibly buy a rifle from a dealer in Leeds they tell me they cannot legally send it to my rfd. However they sent one to my rfd last year.... they say it has to be face to face but I am miles away so therefore I have to send them my FAC , they sign on the new gun and post it back to me and then the rifle goes to my rfd afterwards. Surely they cannot be in possession of my fac by law..... They swear it is illegal doing rfd transfers and "the police are tightening up on this type of thing, aye up lad" How come, therefore everyone one else on guntrader advertises friendly transfer rfd for 20....how they stay in business is amazing. Any ideas gents ?? I know they are talking crap.
    The process which they have suggested is indeed the way things should be done and I'm sorry but they are not talking crap. There is nothing to say that you cannot send your FAC to a RFD

The RFD to RFD transfers which is the "usual" way is a bit of a grey area with regards to the law when you bought and paid for it and it was sent to your RFD

Quote Originally Posted by bobthedug View Post
    The process which they have suggested is indeed the way things should be done and I'm sorry but they are not talking crap. There is nothing to say that you cannot send your FAC to a RFD

The RFD to RFD transfers which is the "usual" way is a bit of a grey area with regards to the law when you bought and paid for it and it was sent to your RFD
    And to substanciate this fact these very details are printed on ones FAC.

I was under the impression that nowadays you paid for the rifle, the dealer "sold or gave" it to your local RFD (it's now legally his) and he gave it to you. This way you only have to give your fac to your RFD

Well, whilst its not a rifle, I bought a gun from Holts recently and I had to send them my Shotgun Certificate to get them to put the gun on it. I did say why don't you just send it to my local RFD which is he way it's been done for a long time and they said, as above, that's not the way its to be done anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    I was under the impression that nowadays you paid for the rifle, the dealer "sold or gave" it to your local RFD (it's now legally his) and he gave it to you. This way you only have to give your fac to your RFD
    That would be sensible wouldn't it .
    Those who can, do it. Those who can't, teach it.

SD Regular
    Yes. Paper SGC or FAC is sent to person who sold it to you. They enter it up and notify transaction. They then send the weapon to your local RFD. And either the SGC or FAC back tou you or direct to your local RFD.

You go in,with your SGC or FAC and collect it. Only problem is that you have seven days to notify the transaction from the seller to you.

There's a difference between the way it "should" be done, and the far more sensible way that most people actually do it. Both methods have been described above. Take your pick!

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    There's a difference between the way it "should" be done, and the far more sensible way that most people actually do it. Both methods have been described above. Take your pick!
    I'm not sure about the "far more sensible way" VSS but certainly the way that many preferred to do it.
    I think I can understand why the police are insisting on doing it the new way especially if problems arise in the transfer, and I don't think you really have a choice as to the process procedure as it is laid down on recent copies of FACs and also I believe in the guidance document.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

So what we're saying is that it's now illegal for one rfd to take legal possession (own) from another rfd unless they do it face to face ?