Alan wood knives

What do you think of the Mercator folding knife?

After purchasing his first K55K, Ray Mears quickly discovered how well suited it was for use as a stalking knife. He went on to say that, when teamed with a small folding saw (such as the
Flip 'N' Zip Saw), you have the perfect lightweight butchering set.

Didn't, Ray something similar about his wilkinson sword knife, his Alan wood, his Pukko, etc, best folder I have is a Benchmade hunter, when teamed up with various other items, it's the perfect butchering knife

I disagree with the views on rip off Britain. Alan last time I met him was a school teacher by day so doubt he's coining it in. Having a friend who makes hand made leather accessories I also know for a fact that at times it's a labour of love as when the hours are divided vs the return staking shelves in Tescos would be a more viable way of making a living. I also look at them in terms of value I cannot afford a hand made shotgun from a London gun maker but I can afford a hand made knife from a top maker. Finally yes others are out there and the U.S. Can be cheaper. I rate Stuart Mitchel as much as Alan's knives.

Didn't, Ray something similar about his wilkinson sword knife, his Alan wood, his Pukko, etc,

Probably, but Im asking a genuine question, does that blade shape look like a good un, for gralloching? I woudnt know being a newbie.
The price is right, and how about that flip and zip saw? Would that come in handy or not?

Probably, but Im asking a genuine question, does that blade shape look like a good un, for gralloching? I woudnt know being a newbie.
The price is right, and how about that flip and zip saw? Would that come in handy or not?

The answer partly depends on the type of deer you'll be stalking. For muntjac, roe and young fallow that blade shape is fine, whereas for larger fallow, reds and sika you might find it a bit small and prefer something with a bit more heft.

My objection to a knife like that is that it's a folder - fine for the first deer you shoot each day but a pain in the backside to clean out before the next one, assuming that is you care about best practice and look to clean your knife between grallochs to prevent cross-contamination. For those who feel that smacks of the nanny state and want to use a folder, that's fine by me too.

The Frost Mora is hard to beat, though personally I now use a custom knife by Stuart Mitchell. Each to their own.

I disagree with the views on rip off Britain. Alan last time I met him was a school teacher by day so doubt he's coining it in. Having a friend who makes hand made leather accessories I also know for a fact that at times it's a labour of love as when the hours are divided vs the return staking shelves in Tescos would be a more viable way of making a living. I also look at them in terms of value I cannot afford a hand made shotgun from a London gun maker but I can afford a hand made knife from a top maker. Finally yes others are out there and the U.S. Can be cheaper. I rate Stuart Mitchel as much as Alan's knives.

+1

Those who complain about the prices for custom knives presumably have the skills themselves to make them and, if they do, would disregard the hours it takes to make a knife from scratch and sell them instead at a price to compete with knives that fall off the end of a production line.:rolleyes:

Alan Wood's knives are expensive, but that is relative and no different to every other market - rifles, shotguns, optics, cars, clothing, wine, etc. If you do some research on the custom knife market you'll find some knives can cost well into four figures....and that's before the decimal point!!

Dave, I used a opinel no9, for yrs, even when we were doing 5 a day, but as willy says ,folders fill up with crap , as to a saw ,I only keep one in the truck, for cutting off antlers, and that is from b&q two for a £10, we use the same for cutting up sheep.

When I was young, and making a few knives for myself and friends from old saw blades, files, rasps, and finished blades from William Rogers of Sheffield, I got to know George Herron, WC Wilber, Blackie Collins, and met the small number of knife makers who were forming a Guild, like Chris Reeve and Bob Dozier ( still have some bolts I bought from him ). These guys were selling knives for $35.00 to $80.00 with the sheath, which now sell for $1,000 and $2,000. If no one had bought their knives then, there would be only a few makers today, and I doubt there would be so many nice factory knives, like Benchmade.

These craftsmen are not only preserving knowledge, but improving it, advancing the craft, and raising the expectations of many users of knives. And the fact that they can now earn a living from it because some people will save for one fine knife, or a wealthy person will buy them to put away in a collection, is no different than every great gunsmith, furniture maker, yacht designer, painter or sculptor.

I am grateful to live in a capitalistic society where I can earn the money to pay someone like Mr. Wood what he is worth, and am free to buy what I want, without some bureaucrat deciding that no one "needs" such a nice tool, and that these craftsmen should be working in job they loathe.

Back