Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 69gr tipped match kings in .223 for fox

69gr tipped match kings in .223 for fox

As title I'm after a heavy combined load for my .223 that I can use for target out to 600yrds and on fox, load testing with the TMKs and N140 gave a couple of promising loads.

Has anyone tried these on fox and rabbit / crows? If so how have they performed expansion wise as I note Sierra's website states they shouldn't be used on anything bigger than varmints....

Hi I have used 69 grain tipped matchking with n 140 out of my 223 iam getting 2905 fps shot a rabbit last week 287 yards they do expand.

I tried 69g match kings in my fast twist t3 recently for fox, never again! Three adult foxes hit in the boiler room and all ran over 100 yards before succumbing, all three had entry and exit wounds that looked like they had been drilled with zero expansion. They may expand for some but three out of three didn't for me, definitely not reliable so back to v max it was.

have you tried 75gr amax. they work well in my t3 1:8 twist but not for all

Do you mean the new polymer tipped 69 grn bullet ?

D

Quote Originally Posted by foosa View Post
    I tried 69g match kings in my fast twist t3 recently for fox, never again! Three adult foxes hit in the boiler room and all ran over 100 yards before succumbing, all three had entry and exit wounds that looked like they had been drilled with zero expansion. They may expand for some but three out of three didn't for me, definitely not reliable so back to v max it was.

Interesting - Were you using the new TIPPED matchkings - or the older type.

I know from experience both the 22 cal and 6 mm non tipped SMK's drill though with little to no expansion.

I had heard very good things about the tipped bullet and they behaved very similar to Amax

ATB
    Alan

My experience was with the old small hollow point match kings, I just read the opening title again stating tipped matchking! I never knew these were about so will look them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by sir-slots-alot View Post
    Interesting - Were you using the new TIPPED matchkings - or the older type.

I know from experience both the 22 cal and 6 mm non tipped SMK's drill though with little to no expansion.

I had heard very good things about the tipped bullet and they behaved very similar to Amax

ATB
    Alan

69 grain Nosler hollow points always did the trick, & no different on paper.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by nick.308 View Post
    have you tried 75gr amax. they work well in my t3 1:8 twist but not for all
    No not yet, it's a 1:9 twist CZ varmint so the 75 is going to be marginal though the rifle did come with load data for them so I'll try them at some point, the 69gr TMK looked like the next best thing provided they expand. I think they have a thicker jacket than the a-max though from what I've read.

It is the polymer tipped rounds I am enquiring about rather than the older HPBT, good to see that they expand on rabbits as I would guess they would do the same on a fox which is a bigger mass!

Technically I can't use expanding for target so I'm looking for an expanding target round
    Last edited by Boydy47; 22-07-2015 at 21:09.

Tipped SMK's...!? - PredatorMasters Forums[URL="http:// http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2803539&page=2"]http:// http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2803539&page=2[/URL

Have a look at this it is all about tipped matchking