salt lick to attract roe deer

Mungo

Hi folks,

I have been doing a bit of reseach (old posts on here and elsewhere) on using salt licks to draw in roe deer to a trail cam.

Opinion seems to be very divided on whether they work at all, and when they do, how best to set them up.

I'd be very grateful for any insights/suggestions from people that have recent experience.

I haven't had much luck with it, its probably down to placement really. I knocked up a deer feeder / salt lick combo...

EK000003 (4).jpg

I'll follow the thread with interest too. Try and find out where im going wrong. Still the birds are getting a good feed out of it 1000's of images of magpies helping themselves....

WH

Based on my reading, it seems that the nutrient status of the surrounding area has en effect: if they're getting what they need from their natural food, they won't be terribly interested. However, there doesn't seem to be much clarity on what sorts of habitat will lead to them being attracted to the blocks.

I'm hoping that acid moorland will be fairly nutrient poor, so a block should work quitec well - but if anyone knows anything, I'd be very grateful.

I could send you any number of photos of successful salt licks and feeders for trail cams and with Fallow / roe and muntjac all using them amongst many other things. I would suggest the following for success:

1. Select a location that is off a woodland ride and tucked quietly away, common sense really, but also where there are obvious deer trails. Deer want to feed where less likely to be disturbed
2. In terms of the actual salt block, i would use one with aniseed in (Bushwear sell a good one, mine are still going strong over a year on) - the aniseed definitely helps. Also it is the rain washing the salt onto the post / trunk that the deer actually lick more often than not, so given its summer, you might want to buy some aniseed paste to give an extra little help
3. Either put a 5ft stake into the ground or saw a trunk off at the 5ft / 6ft height and then drive a LARGE metal screw (10" - 12" minimum) into the top and sit your block on here
4. Set your trail cam back a little way and watch the results start, you will need to be a little patient in the early days2015-05-01 13.06.54.jpg2015-06-28 19.14.09.jpg

Here in Sweden its recomended that the salt lick is put near water. I put out a new lick the other day and the post it sits on is licked white by the moose.

Have had good results with the aniseed one from Bushwear, with both red and roe using it.

Moose

White Hart - I would hazard a view that your post is too exposed and the salt block is too low. Ideally you want it sitting on top of the post so that when it rains the dissolved salt runs down the post. Most of the time the deer lick the salt run off as it goes down the post, in the 1000's of trail cam photos i have it is rare that the deer are actually licking the block. Would definitely suggest the aniseed as it helps draw them in

White Hart - I would hazard a view that your post is too exposed and the salt block is too low. Ideally you want it sitting on top of the post so that when it rains the dissolved salt runs down the post. Most of the time the deer lick the salt run off as it goes down the post, in the 1000's of trail cam photos i have it is rare that the deer are actually licking the block. Would definitely suggest the aniseed as it helps draw them in

Appreciate the advise there, I unfortunately cannot shoot the woods behind the feeder so its an effort to draw the deer out. I'll have a play around and see if I can make the situation a bit better - trial and error really! I'll try the salt lick post.

Cheers

WH

From what I've seen, the deer do not actually like to lick the block direct. However, if you sit the block on top of a smooth post (a cut off ash tree is ideal) the salt dissolves and runs down the post. The deer seem to love licking this and will go at it until the bark is even worn away! The other benefit is that it seems to attract them long after (even years!) the salt block has gone. I guess it must soak into the wood and is maybe less strong? It works though.
MS

White Hart - what species are you trying to attract? If muntjac / Fallow then some fodder beet and carrots chucked out will work a treat although in the winter months - they will really pull into that as will roe

White Hart - what species are you trying to attract? If muntjac / Fallow then some fodder beet and carrots chucked out will work a treat although in the winter months - they will really pull into that as will roe

HuntervC

Roe and Muntjac, but mostly Roe. I'll give it a go.

WH

had success with roe and fallow with salt licks (large ones from Scats) and mineral blocks from Hockham deer supplies. All installed on 4FT round posts so rain washes down the post. I put allthread into post top so I can take off the nut and washer and swap blocks when used up.

From what I've seen, the deer do not actually like to lick the block direct. However, if you sit the block on top of a smooth post (a cut off ash tree is ideal) the salt dissolves and runs down the post. The deer seem to love licking this and will go at it until the bark is even worn away! The other benefit is that it seems to attract them long after (even years!) the salt block has gone. I guess it must soak into the wood and is maybe less strong? It works though.
MS

+1 - I've tied a red rockie in the same place (vee of fir approx 4ft up) and the rain has washed the salt down the trunk - Roe, Fallow & Muntjac have all had a go at it off the trunk

I have videos of roe deer walking within 6 feet of a Bush Wear aniseed block and completely ignoring it. It was about a mile or so inland from the coast with the prevailing wind blowing towards it from the sea. I reckon there might be enough wind-blown salt on foliage for the deer not to need a lick.

I have just finished reading 'Muntjac' by Eileen Soper (1969), that has kindly been lent to me by our member palmer_mike.

Ms Soper made a detailed study of a 'family' of Muntjac, that lived in her (very large) garden over an eight year period.

She put out a range of different food to attract the deer to where she could watch them most effectively. She lists the foods that the Muntjac ate, in order of preference and those that they rejected.

At one point she placed a salt lick block at the feeding point. Other than curiosity at the new item, the Muntjac ignored the salt lick and did not use it.

Back