Thread: Binoculars

Binoculars

Thinking of buying pair of 8/42 Steiner rÓnger pro any problems with them or any advice

I think you'd be better off buying my Swarovski 7x42 SLC's that are in the for sale section. Ha ha. Thanks

Geomam,

I have both the Steiner Skyhawk 8 x 42 (basically the same as the ranger apart from the outer shell) and have recently bought Swaro EL 10 x 42 range's (as I wanted a built in range finder)....I will say the swaro's are fantastic, but not 6 or 7 times the price better.

I have been using my Steiners for about 3 years dragging them through mud, up and down high seats, crawling through grass etc and in some horrendous rain and snow in Scotland and now in up to over 100░F in the dusty plains in the USA and they have performed flawlessly.

One small gripe is the lens covers for the obj ends aren't great although the neoprene one you get for the eyepieces are great, also the cups for the eye piece are excellent and that's something you have to pay ú30 for as an extra with the swaros which really annoyed me.

You will not be disappointed with the steiner binos, you will notice a difference in overall clarity and at last light if you compare them to swaros but nothing too drastic.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on them.

Regards,

Gixer

I've got a pair. The only problem I've had is the circlip or spring or whatever it is that holds the eye caps firm broke, so the cups spin round freely which makes the fold down flaps useless. I sent them back under warranty. They went to Germany for repair and came back 6 weeks later exactly the same as before.
    They're good but not nearly as good as Swaros when the light goes. They're cheaper but still not exactly a steel. With hindsight I wish I'd saved a little more and bought a S/H set of ELs.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    I've got a pair. The only problem I've had is the circlip or spring or whatever it is that holds the eye caps firm broke, so the cups spin round freely which makes the fold down flaps useless. I sent them back under warranty. They went to Germany for repair and came back 6 weeks later exactly the same as before.
    They're good but not nearly as good as Swaros when the light goes. They're cheaper but still not exactly a steel. With hindsight I wish I'd saved a little more and bought a S/H set of ELs.

To be fair - a little more? the EL's are literally about 5 1/2 times the price though, but I wouldn't say 5 1/2 times better quality/clarity etc.

Regards,

Gixer

Quote Originally Posted by gixer1 View Post
    To be fair - a little more? the EL's are literally about 5 1/2 times the price though, but I wouldn't say 5 1/2 times better quality/clarity etc.

Regards,

Gixer

Used a pair of Stiener rangers for about 3 years and no problems. Probably not as good as Swaro's, but at a fraction of the price still a good buy.Don't think you would be disapointed if you decided on Stieners. All the best,Jim.

No doubt the likes of Swarovski, Leica etc are superb. But as with anything, once you get to a certain level an extra 5% performance can add 50% to the price. I'd feel pretty vulnerable with a thousand-plus pounds worth of binoculars around my neck when I'm stalking. Similarly with a 'scope

I used a pair of cheap-as-dirt Bushnell 8 x 42 that cost me a tenner for ages. They weren't great, to be honest, and I upgraded them eventually to a pair of Zeiss Terra 8x42s. I still shot a lot of deer using them though, and I never once worried about them, or wished I had something better
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Look at minix I have a a pair 8x42 very good bought as a spare set from Germany delivered in 3 days
    Ath tom

I bought a pair recently and am very pleased with them.