Thread: Another way to change calibre

Another way to change calibre

Hi Guys,

Somebody mentioned on here recently that it's possible to get a variation for a different calibre without having to dispose of your existing rifle until you purchase the new one. is this possible as i'm feeling a change coming on (might have to change my username to ezzy6.8).
    The thought of selling my rifle and then having to wait 6 months for a variation bothers me a bit. if not i'll wait untill my FAC is due for renewal in 12 months and do it then.

Ezzy

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I applied for my variation, it was accepted, I changed my .308 and .243 for a .270 and 22-250. When my FAC came back after applying, it said someting along the lines of, "The .270 Bolt Action rifle can not be purchased until the .308 Bolt Action has been disposed of" or words to that effect, and the same for the .22-250 for the .243

I also asked if I could just drop it off and collect on Friday (4 Days later and they said "Yes").

My FLO are extremely helpful, but that is Northern Constabulary who have probably delt woth more FAC's than half of English FLO's put together.

TJ

I did this a few years ago when I was having a rifle built, they sent me a temporary certificate for my existing rifle and gave me a slot for the new rifle

I had to pay for the variation IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by ezzy6.5 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Somebody mentioned on here recently that it's possible to get a variation for a different calibre without having to dispose of your existing rifle until you purchase the new one. is this possible as i'm feeling a change coming on (might have to change my username to ezzy6.8).
    The thought of selling my rifle and then having to wait 6 months for a variation bothers me a bit. if not i'll wait untill my FAC is due for renewal in 12 months and do it then.

Ezzy
    With Norfolk constabulary I've found that straight "one for one" variations are completed within a week. The notes on the back of the certificate define a one for one as swapping a firearm for one of the same calibre, but in reality I've found that the calibre doesn't matter so long as the number of firearms on the certificate doesn't change. Provided that criteria is fulfilled, there should be no charge for the variation.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Another route is to have an existing calibre rechambered in Ackley Improved. No variation, but better performance (in some calibres much more dramatic than others).
    KevinF -