Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Telephone and Broadband help needed !

Telephone and Broadband help needed !

I need to get a phone line with broadband from one building to another. The distance is about 90m.

The incoming line has a 3 phones and a broadband router. I know the whereabouts of the master socket.

What is the best way of getting a phone and broadband into a further building? Is it as simple as putting a wire between the two, putting a socket on the end, filter and router ?

Thanks in advance

Ed

seprate phone line and a seperate lan cable you can get them long but the longer they get the slower the speeds youll get
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    seprate phone line and a seperate lan cable you can get them long but the longer they get the slower the speeds youll get
    Spud... WTF is a lan cable please ?

SD Regular
    be careful - 90m is about the limit for a stretch of Cat5. Assuming you have line of sight, you're better off going for a wireless bridge solution.

One Q: I don't suppose the two buildings are on the same spur of the ring main are they?
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

local area network

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    be careful - 90m is about the limit for a stretch of Cat5. Assuming you have line of sight, you're better off going for a wireless bridge solution.

One Q: I don't suppose the two buildings are on the same spur of the ring main are they?
    +1 - I would go for the extender that jumps on your wiring
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Buildings on separate ring mains.

Does a wireless bridge solution plug into the back of a router..... run up to a high point with a cable then beam across to a receiver, then a cable runs from the receiver to a further router ? Are they simple to install ?

Regards

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by N.F.W.M View Post

Does a wireless bridge solution plug into the back of a router..... run up to a high point with a cable then beam across to a receiver, then a cable runs from the receiver to a further router ? Are they simple to install ?

Regards

Ed

no and no they can be very problamtic

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by N.F.W.M View Post

Regards

Ed
    Essentially - yes
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post

I'm surprised that you can even stretch a cat more than a few metres. Must be a big one.