Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic clean question

Ultrasonic clean question

Hi all, my ultrasonic cleaner has turned up so a quick question.
    I am going to use a glass jar to hold my de primed cases with a
    50/50 mix of distilled vinegar and water with a drop of washing liquid.
    Does this sound about right?
    how long time wise to run it or is it trial and error?
    and should I then run through the cleaner with water with some barcarbonate soda
    lot just rinse with water?
    any advice appreciated.
    Dale.

Hiya

The mix should work, dont know about the glass jar as the one I use has a plastic tray so I can only assume for a reason. I use yoghurt pots which are lightweight.
    My mix is a teaspoon of Citric Acid (lemon juice) in clean water, several runs at the mid-timing setting and then just rinse off and allow to air-dry.
    There have been a few posts on different mixes and how effective they are - would be worth a search in the Reloading section.
    L

Quote Originally Posted by daddyo View Post
    Hi all, my ultrasonic cleaner has turned up so a quick question.
    I am going to use a glass jar to hold my de primed cases with a
    50/50 mix of distilled vinegar and water with a drop of washing liquid.
    Does this sound about right?
    how long time wise to run it or is it trial and error?
    and should I then run through the cleaner with water with some barcarbonate soda
    lot just rinse with water?
    any advice appreciated.
    Dale.
    I serviced dive regulators/cylinder valves for many years, including O2 cleaning, granted you are wanting the best result you can.
    We used a product designed for that type of work, but would pe-soak the really cruddy parts in a stronger solution.
    The units had heaters in them but what I would do was clean the parts in a plastic ( butter container) as then the solution could be changed and containers swapped over with out moving the unit.
    This meant we only had to clean and dry out the machine at the end of the day....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Your water will be better if used warm, any good soft soap will work, & a plastic lemon juice from the supermarket for a short squirt of, if you overdose with any acid solution you will make your brass pink, ( the first signs of de zinc- ing), rinse well & dry gently in the oven, Steve. forgot to mention, try to keep your container off the bottom of your unit.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I tried a bunch of these home made cleaning solution recipes, which work OK. Then I bought a bottle of Lymann Turbosonic cleaning solution on a whim (to make an order big enough to get free shipping) & it works a lot better. The cases come out much cleaner & brighter, so is worth looking at, as I get 30 odd cleans from a bottle.

+1
    I know others like the home made stuff but the time it takes to get the right % of each to gain the best results nahh got the stuff that said what it did on the tin? lol,
    would add I decant the sonic tub into a old jug then let it sit and drain off the clear and bin the crud , I get de- water for 1.50 a gal last for ages I also have a old electric kettle that I use to speed up the heating time same on the drying by heating the clean case's in clean de-water then place them on a pin peg board to dry off .

QUOTE=Neumo;997088]I tried a bunch of these home made cleaning solution recipes, which work OK. Then I bought a bottle of Lymann Turbosonic cleaning solution on a whim (to make an order big enough to get free shipping) & it works a lot better. The cases come out much cleaner & brighter, so is worth looking at, as I get 30 odd cleans from a bottle.[/QUOTE]

I started off using water/vinegar/washing up liquid and then cleaned in bicarb. Have also used a number of the commercially available solutions (Lyman, Seaclean from Maplin). However, have been converted to using Citric Acid after reading this http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-brass-cleaner.

Works very well and does not seem to tarnish the brass in the same way other solutions can do. It is very cost effective - I use about 2 heaped tablespoons which does circa 75-100 243/308 size cases. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meridianstar...ds=citric+acid

Hi

Ditto on Castboolits - where I picked up on using Citric Acid including for 'patinating' carbon steel blades (or any I presume) for a protective coating.

L

Thank you for the replies. There does seem a lot of different ways of cleaning cases.
    I'll try it out and see how we go.

Just buy a 5 litre bottle of seaclean, don't buy it from napkin Google search and you'll find it much cheaper, I got one for 26.00 delivered which will last me a couple of years. A couple of generous capfuls in hot water in my 2.5L cleaner and the brass comes out really clean.

i use plastic inserts from factory ammo boxes for supporting the brass, clean it up right, one cycle primer pocket down a couple of cycles primer pocket up.