Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can you persuade someone next door not to shoot 'your' deer?

can you persuade someone next door not to shoot 'your' deer?

Here's one to get you exercised on this lovely morning:

I have a very small roe deer permission, that amounts to about 3 (small) sheep fields, a few clumps of woodland, a few overgrown hedges and a 2 acre patch replanted clear-fell. There is a very small resident population of does (2-4) and the occasional passing buck. In the 4 years of stalking it, I have shot precisely one deer. I leave the does alone - both because I want to and because the farmer has requested this. Both of us are totally happy with the arragement - it's really just a social opportunity (he used to work in my department and is now retired).

Now: the surrounding land has recently been leased to a pro stalker, who has set to with some gusto.

My farmer is very worried: the resident does on his land spend quite a bit of time over the fence next door, and the stalker has erected a high seat overlooking the spot they cross. The farmer has asked me what to do: he doesn't want them shot, and is wondering if he could approach the stalker and persuade him to leave them alone. He very much sees these does as 'his', and is quite aggreived that they may get shot in the autumn. He is aware that he has no legal right to them, but is hoping he could appeal to the stalker's better nature.

Thoughts?

Good luck!
    as you have said it relies entirely on persuading the stalker next door to leave them be, your landowner has no way of stopping them being shot once off his land.

thinking about it from the neighbours point of view, he may view the roe on your landowners patch as a pest which he wants rid of.

from the pro stalkers point of view, he's paid for a lease to shoot deer, not sure why he'd hold back from shooting them.

That high seat has gone up for a reason we all know, You could ask, but I wouldn't hold your breath, be interested in the outcome though.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Four years of stalking to shoot one deer seems like a long time. I guess it must be like fishing? Half the fun is just being out there?

You'd probably have more luck trying to convince the deer not to cross over onto his land at that particular point while encouraging them to try and remain on your patch.

You may find that the resident deer do get shot but in the medium to longer term you actually end up with more deer as they will come to see your ground as a relatively undisturbed sanctuary.

High seats on boundaries are always a potential source of friction between neighbours but I would not get too worried just yet.

If the neighbours get on ok then suggest that they simply have a chat about it and introduce yourself and the other Stalker to each other too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1973 View Post
    Four years of stalking to shoot one deer seems like a long time. I guess it must be like fishing? Half the fun is just being out there?
    Fortunately, I have much more productive land elsewhere! It was extremely satisfying to finally shoot that buck: he'd been around for 3 years, and I'd tried to stalk him at least 8 times. I slowly developed a plan to get him, and in the end it worked perfectly. The appeal here was the sheer challenge of figuring out each variable in turn: working out when he was going to be there; then working out which spots he liked; then working out how to approach him; then actually doing it. The final stalk required a 3 mile detour through adjoining conifer strips (with neighbour's permisson) to get down wind and out of sight; a 600m flat crawl through a sheep meadow (had had to wait late enough into spring so the grass/weeds were long enough to cover me); an agonising climb over a fence where I was skylined for 10 seconds, and then a deliberate walk through the clear fell, with rifle already in the shoulder. He popped up when I was 20 yards from him, moved 10 yards, stopped for an instant and that was it.

The appealing thing about stalking is that you usually know WHY you've blanked: either you can't find the deer, you spooked them or you missed. With fishing, most of the time you haven't the faintest clue why you're not catching.
    Last edited by Mungo; 23-07-2015 at 08:56.

Mungo farmers know that if you want to increase the deer you need to leave the Females.They also know that to many males will cause mayhem. Tell him to go to the Landowner not the stalker and ask if they could keep to a plan . I am sure the pro stalker (If he is not under pressure to cull) Would love to keep a high population while removing the crap. I would certainly listen to the next door chap if they were of the same mind set. Might be better if you go to the pro stalker.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    You'd probably have more luck trying to convince the deer not to cross over onto his land at that particular point while encouraging them to try and remain on your patch.

The fact of the matter is, that they are not actually 'your' deer!
    I understand your frustration, but if a 'Pro' stalker has paid a fee to shoot next door, he'll be wanting some return for his outlay so this is only likely to end one way which will not be good for the deer which are legally as much 'his' as 'yours'.
    MS