Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negligent discharge by Scottish Police Officer

A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

As Forest Gump said: "**** happens".

Ah, but does it? Really? I've always said there's no such thing as an 'accidental' discharge. I very much doubt the fella involved will be needing to worry about correct firearms handling for the remainder of his career
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    Ah, but does it? Really? I've always said there's no such thing as an 'accidental' discharge. I very much doubt the fella involved will be needing to worry about correct firearms handling for the remainder of his career
    I doubt very much anything will be done at all about it , this is the police were talking about , maybe a few days retraining then a few weeks off on full pay for the stress of the incident then back on duty , bless em
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Aye, you may well be right

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    I doubt very much anything will be done at all about it , this is the police were talking about , maybe a few days retraining then a few weeks off on full pay for the stress of the incident then back on duty , bless em
    One thing the police are really hot on are not being sued. (hot, yes, successful? Not so much). To have someone using firearms who has already had a negligent discharge would let all hell break out if that individual was involved in another incident where someone got hurt! If they've any sense......

Obviously their training methods need an overhaul giving loaded weapons to officers who can't even operate a simple safety catch is inviting an accident

I know personally one AD, a floating firing pin malfunction and a few NDs. Apart from the AD they could have been prevented (possibly the AD too if proper maintenance had been followed) but there is a thing called "human error" and no matter how hard people try there will always be situations where things go wrong apart from the obvious super humans on the SD who have never ever made a mistake or had a "mind fart" in their lives. It must be great to be perfect.

I always understood an accidental discharge was due to a firearm or ammunition failure (broken sear etc) and anything else was negligent.

Glad to see that only a wall was damaged.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

I would guess that every army unit /police force and just about every group of people who handle firearms on daily basis will have had a ND, some will get reported as in the case above a lot won't, not saying it's right but it happens just a risk of the job like full time drivers getting caught speeding,bouncers getting punched and welders getting burnt. I am starting to get a bit fed up with the constant police bashing of late, some members need to grow up.