Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Additional Gun Cabinet Position

Additional Gun Cabinet Position

I am thinking of putting another cabinet in to stop 'dinging' scopes and guns on the way in and out. Do I need to agree the positioning of it with my FEO if different to the existing cabinet?
    Cheers
    Bilbo

Hi Bilbo,
    In a word, no.
    I was in a similar predicament to yourself and I purchased a larger cabinet as I was fed up having to "top and tail" and struggle to get the door closed
    Out of courtesy, I called the FA office and let them know.
    My initial cabinet was a "3 gun" and as I knew at some stage I would be filling my original cabinet, there was no issue when I acquired additional rifles as my file showed that I had 2 cabinets.
    Just ensure that the initial criteria re fitting and positioning are adhered to.

Bob

Thanks for the reply. "Just ensure that the initial criteria re fitting and positioning are adhered to" ...that's my point, I am planning on putting it in another room from where the original cabinet is (which was agreed with the FEO on my first grant).
    Cheers
    Bilbo

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    I am thinking of putting another cabinet in to stop 'dinging' scopes and guns on the way in and out. Do I need to agree the positioning of it with my FEO if different to the existing cabinet?
    Cheers
    Bilbo

Just install it, write to the Police to tell them by 'to be signed for' post, and start using it.
    If they want to inspect they will tell you, if not they will look at it at your renewal.
    Last edited by Erik Hamburger; 23-07-2015 at 12:55.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Bob

Thanks for the reply. "Just ensure that the initial criteria re fitting and positioning are adhered to" ...that's my point, I am planning on putting it in another room from where the original cabinet is (which was agreed with the FEO on my first grant).
    Cheers
    Bilbo
    Sorry, I should have clarified in my initial post. I meant the cabinet being fastened to the structure of the building etc. not visible to casual callers and the like.

Mine was fitted in the same room and my file was updated accordingly. Never had any visits or checks.

The responsibility for the security of your guns is down to you. When I moved house twice they didn't want to come and see the new location. The only interest my FEO seems to have is the capacity so he knows what I can be licensed for. The only check I had in 6 years is on renewal.

No its you that has to supply the secure place for storage as long as it meets the bla bla as set out, stick it any place you like tell them if you wish ,always felt funny having to hide a safe from folks in case they see them ? then only to put it down on paper to folks I don't know and to show some one I don't know the place my rifles are ??

Thanks for the all the replies above.

Regards

Bilbo

I am sorry but you have no obligation or need for courtesy to inform your FEO of a new cabinet, a new location or a sudden change of style.

You are required to apply reasonable security precautions ..that's it
    stick it where ever you wish so long as it complies with the needs of its purpose

They may feel the need to make a note of its location but IMO that is potentially unlawful
    (lets face it public bodies don't have a great track of safe guarding data and holding a list of all guns together with a list of locations and cabinet styles smacks of incompetence!

Same argument with key locations. I never tell the FEO where my keys are. I am the only one that knows where they are, and if they ask I just tell them they are secreted in a safe place and I don't tell anyone else where that is, seems to keep them quiet.