Thread: why no bucks?

why no bucks?

I've been getting to know a new patch of ground over the last 2 weeks.

Hill sheep farm, mostly moor, some conifer blocks on lower valley slopes, some broadleaf woodland on valley bottom, some improved pasture on valley bottom.

I've seen about the number of roe does that I would expect.

I have not seen a single buck. This seems very odd for the time of year. I've even sat for two hours watching does feed in rich, sheep free pasture on a warm sunny evening, and not seen a buck anywhere.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

Can't help you as to why but I've been stalking an orchard for the last 2.5 years and only last night saw my first buck. It is a small 30 acre plot surrounded by woodland that is part of a pheasant shoot and at least one of them shoots deer too. I've regularly seen 2-3 does per visit but until last night I had never seen a buck. even worse is that come October when the shoot starts becoming active all the deer either disappear or become nocturnal!

So, up here from about the end of May, weather and vegetation dependent, I hardly see the Bucks and thats on thousands of acres!.
    When the rut starts [about now!] I will see dozens appear as if magic! and then as soon as its over they vanish again until september sometime than there everywhere again.
    This happens every year and has done so for the past 30.
    On my ground in englandshire I can go out any time of the year and see the bucks! but not here, its not as if they go anywhere, because if I walk through the dence vegetaion with the dogs I do find them, just never in the open.
    Hope that gives you some idea.

Was wondering this myself. For the last week I have seen very few if any. Loads of does but almost no bucks unless I have walked on to them. Friend has said the same thing and even went out with the lamp to see if they were coming out after dark. No such luck either. Do they go into a brief hiding before the rut starts? Mind you there is so much food around they could just lie down and browse in the long grass all day and you would never see them.

Bucks tend to dissapear before the rut and after the rut

Last year, on an annual 'rut weekend' we had to go a week earlier than normal. 3 of us, splitting and covering maybe 4,000 acres, saw precisely 3 bucks (and 16 does) over Thursday night, Friday morning, Friday evening and Saturday morning.
    By Sunday evening we'd clocked 15 bucks in total…. almost as if they appear out of the ground…some rain, some humidity, some 'sense' we can't decipher and boom! they were everywhere…
    Exciting if you catch it…demoralising if you don't….but still one of nature's surprises and, let's face it, not many things are surprises any more….
    C.

Last two i saw ,,,,one i shot i litterally stood on while watching does i hadnt a clue they where there,,,and i dont think they knew i was there even tho i made more noise than a three year old in tesco,s!!!,,,,never barked or spooked just erupted looked and trotted off,!! quite a few does about unless its the same one!!!
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I've been getting to know a new patch of ground over the last 2 weeks.

Hill sheep farm, mostly moor, some conifer blocks on lower valley slopes, some broadleaf woodland on valley bottom, some improved pasture on valley bottom.

I've seen about the number of roe does that I would expect.

I have not seen a single buck. This seems very odd for the time of year. I've even sat for two hours watching does feed in rich, sheep free pasture on a warm sunny evening, and not seen a buck anywhere.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

OK let just talk about the bees and flowers. If you see does and followers, than there MUST be bucks as well.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    OK let just talk about the bees and flowers. If you see does and followers, than there MUST be bucks as well.
    I thought the followers got delivered by a nice man with an Ifor Williams trailer?

Oh wait - that's muntjac...