Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Law Commission Review of Firearms Law

The Law Commission Review of Firearms Law

The above review was launched on the 23 July. - the documentation is available on the Law Commission website - I will post a link if people wish me to.
    I shall try and respond with my own concerns, BASC and CA have posted press releases on their sites to the effect that they are responding.
    You may wish to pass on concerns and suggestions personally.
    Its a chance to say what you have experienced and think about the law and the way it is administered.
    I am with NGO but I shall still put in my own view.

link please, although probably no use to us in Scotland as the Scottish Numpty Party will soon have them all banned anyway

In my view the totality of the licencing regime needs to be reappraised and the solution is to place it in the hands of a national body completely independent of the police, and especially chiefs of police.

Alas: Item 4 of the terms of reference:

"(4) This review will not be concerned with [either ]the existing firearms licensing regime..."

Precisely, its appears not to be about how legal users of firearms are affected by the governing legislation - that appears to be an issue for another day -so how it helps, hinders or 'abuses' those who own guns, is not for the review.
    How often has the law on murder been reviewed in depth to protect the innocent ?
    Just what has been said in response by the people who represent us?

The BASC press release was issued yesterday and has been the top story on the home page of the BASC website since then.

This review is about improving firearms law, reducing the complexity of more than 30 separate pieces of legislation. There has been considerable consultation with shooting groups in advance of issuing the scoping consultation and we are well plugged into the process.

Having participated in Law Commission reviews before, I can tell you that these are very professional and intellectually rigorous. We will be representing the interests of firearms owners forcefully.

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by C Graffius View Post
    The BASC press release was issued yesterday and has been the top story on the home page of the BASC website since then.

This review is about improving firearms law, reducing the complexity of more than 30 separate pieces of legislation. There has been considerable consultation with shooting groups in advance of issuing the scoping consultation and we are well plugged into the process.

Having participated in Law Commission reviews before, I can tell you that these are very professional and intellectually rigorous. We will be representing the interests of firearms owners forcefully.

Christopher
    To be honest I personally feel rather let down by the BASC for capitulating on the license fee increases with no consequential or even conditional improvements in efficiency of the licensing grant, renewal and variation regime.

Quote Originally Posted by Greymaster View Post
    To be honest I personally feel rather let down by the BASC for capitulating on the license fee increases with no consequential or even conditional improvements in efficiency of the licensing grant, renewal and variation regime.
    I felt the same with the apparent volte-face over unnanounced visits and inspections of FAC/SGC holder's homes by the police - now being trumpeted by the NPCC/FELWG as a "valuable initiative' because it's producing the evidence, (in the form of revocations and written warnings), to justify it's continuation!

Unannounced Visits Initiative

To date there have been 1,254 unannounced visits, 107 found security issues, 63 other issues, 83 certificate holders received advice, 25 a written warning, 62 are currently under review and 28 had been revoked. This is a valuable initiative and thanked everyone for their help and urged unannounced visits to continue as good practice.

Under what other circumstances have the police awarded themselves the 'authority' to enter an innocent person's home without a warrant or invitation, other than the fact that he lawfully possesses firearms? Think about it.

https://ukshootingnews.wordpress.com...uk-gun-owners/

Quote Originally Posted by C Graffius View Post

Christopher
    That will be a first then.Does BASC know what "Forcefully" means.They capitulated on Semi Auto centrefire rifles,they capatitulated on pistols,they capitulated on lead for wildfowling and more recently on the fees issue.The British Association for Shooting and Capitulation.But look on the bright side they have a really nice Press centre PS I nearly forgot their rhetoric is brilliant too
    Last edited by geordieh; 24-07-2015 at 10:07.

It is not clear whether the Law Commission is looking at this matter in sufficient depth, e.g. have the more bureacratic restrictions that feature so heavily in S1 ever been properly evaluated to determine whether they make a more significant contribution in terms of public safety when compared to the S2 restrictions?