Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first litter of pups

My first litter of pups

Alls well with my first litter of lab pups in fact I've really enjoyed it so far I've a great bitch who has been a great mother to 9 healthy pups 5 bitchs and 4 dogs .
    on feeding the bitch tonight I noticed scratch marks from the pups so donned my glasses and very very carefully snipped the ends of thier claws Very hard work !! I dabbed a smear of olive oil on the bitches tummy .do the more experienced kennelmen do or use anything else the pups are 10 days old and the scratching not bad but I didn't want this to get more uncomfortable than feeding 9 pups could be .
    cheers Norma
    Last edited by norma 308; 23-07-2015 at 17:20.

Hi Norma. Its surprising how fast some pups claws grow, on times we have clipped some back every two weeks. We apply Aloe Vera Gel to the bitch if the scratched area if causing her discomfort. Good luck for the next 6 and a bit weeks. Gaz

Start worming at 3 weeks and once a fortnight after that.

Thanks guys what wormer do you recommend ,I panacoured the bitch for 20 days from the 40th to the 60 th day .
    cheers doug

get them from the vets would be my suggestion for pups

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Thanks guys what wormer do you recommend ,I panacoured the bitch for 20 days from the 40th to the 60 th day .
    cheers doug
    I prefer drontal for puppies. It's a single dose one day, rather than the three over three days required for panacur. My wife (a vet) also favours it for puppies. We use panacour for bitches though.

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    get them from the vets would be my suggestion for pups

+1 You'll probably have to cut the tablets down to start with. I used to, but it's 20 years ago now, times change.

We use Panacur 10% for three consecutive days at two, five and 8 weeks. Supposedly its kinder on the pups stomachs.

Hi It is normally liquid form, syringe required amount hold mouth open easier with help and just squeeze in. Remember one pup who absolutely hated it and would do everything to avoid it. lovely pink colour.
    Jim

My pup is allergic to Drontal. He licked some off his paw and had an anaphylactic shock. Fortunately we were able to get him to the vet who gave him a steroid injection that saved his life.