Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you ever justify a frontal heat shot "between the eyes"?

Can you ever justify a frontal heat shot "between the eyes"?

Guessing this is a large can of worms.............and the PC obvious answer is no based on my DSC1 course......however in the real world things are different.

Assuming you are capable of the shot of course, would you take a shot at fairly close quarters end on? ( a reverse texas heart shot)

Lets say for example, you are crouching in a field of wheat and deer comes straight to you at 40 metres. You either take the shot then or he makes a rapid retreat.

Jeez

Whatever shot is safe and efficient gets taken as far as I`m concerned.

Have shot a few full in the face. They died, I ate them, all was well.

Aye. Kind of ruins the trophy though.

When shooting Muntjac that are coming in answer to calling, the frontal head shot is often the only option available.
    They often will not leave cover completely and all one can see is the head, as the deer peeps out of bramble or from behind a tree.
    It doesn't matter how patient one is as the deer will most likely not present a better shot.
    So with safety and humane considerations satisfied, I shoot quite a few like this, albeit at short range.

Ask yourself how did you get yourself into this position and then you will know your answer.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Why is it a can of worms, are you capable of taking the shot, if not no,if you are yes,

This time of year things can be hard with the hight of cover etc you can make the choice I say no to head shots its my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by JRLA View Post
    Guessing this is a large can of worms.............and the PC obvious answer is no based on my DSC1 course......however in the real world things are different.

Assuming you are capable of the shot of course, would you take a shot at fairly close quarters end on? ( a reverse texas heart shot)

Lets say for example, you are crouching in a field of wheat and deer comes straight to you at 40 metres. You either take the shot then or he makes a rapid retreat.
    Been there , done plenty of it and in perfectly fine shot until you blow the jaw and nose completely off of your target and it runs off into heavy cover!

Im my case i was lucky the roe buck i shot was with a doe and the kids went one way and they went the other and it was on a stubble field, a very long shot ended his suffering.

Since that day i no longer head shoot and i have the head on a shelf in my man cave as a reminder.

If you are going to do it just think of the possible consequences before you squeeze that trigger.

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I wouldn't... but mostly because I don't like to see dead deer with their heads smashed: it is ugly, seems unworthy of the quarry, and so mars the stalking experience for me.

But I'm just a recreational stalker.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

I do it - out to 80 yards or so, if I'm certain I have a good hold. Front on or back on.

With a deer legal calibre at that range, if the head really is facing you (ie. there isn't the risk of a jaw/snout shot), even a low shot (through the nose/mouth) will kill it. It's horribly messy, but the animal won't get up.

I have shot a large fallow buck at a longer range than is sensible for a head shot (we all do stupid things). .308 with a ballistic tip. The shot dropped slightly low - entered through the left side of the snout, below the eye. Very neat, calibre sized entry wound. No exit. Animal died on the spot. On inspection of the carcasse, it seemed that the front on impact had actually disarticulated the atlas joint and severed the spine. I've since spoken to people who have seen similar.

So: if the animal is looking more or less straight at you or straight away from you, I think it is a perfectly acceptable shot.

But the real answer - as has been given - is shoot to your ability.