Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious rain in the South West

Serious rain in the South West

Came up from Devon this am and it was raining now we have steady heavy rain looks like its in for the day. Unlike some areas of UK we had little rain for months and its dried out so quickly due to the wind. Great for the garden which was parched but I expect some worried farmers with huge ammounts of rape all sprayed off. Didn't see any combines working last night on route to mid Devon and not likely to after this deluge.

D

Lashing rain on east coast of Ireland too not a good day for pigeons

There seems to have been something of a north/south divide this year as there has been no shortage of rain in the north plus it has been cold, and I mean really really very cold. I was in the Hebrides in May/early June and they had decent water in the rivers despite May/June usually being their driest months and yesterday saw another maybe 4 inches in the rivers.

Despite this the main grilse run simply hasn't come! They usually come in around the 2nd week in July but although a few fish are trickling in the big run hasn't come. However, it looks like the sea trout came on the high tides, and reasonable water, last weekend and decent numbers are being caught. The grilse usually come in after the sea trout so perhaps they will come on the next big tides. The sea temperature has been 2 degrees down on average and I wonder if this is what is keeping the fish late.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

It's in for the day but should be petering out during the early hours of Saturday - according to WeatherPro which is usually pretty good.

Hopefully it'll get sucked well in and not affect the Mid Devon Show site too much, provided the trader's vehicles don't churn it up today!

Steady heavier rain in Weymouth for the last 30 minutes, as forecast. The school holidays must have started.

I was out last night and it was lovely. Saw two foxes but couldn't get on them and wanted to get after them tonight. Might go to the pub instead.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

The eastern half of NI has been pretty dry for two months, with little rain of an consequence, but it has been cold and windy. I've had the fire lit three or four nights over the past week.

I was out fishing in a charter boat in Lough Swilly a few weeks ago, the skipper told us that water temperatures are down 2 degrees on normal for this time of year and the fishing was slow as a result.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Well as an update its still raining and I have the rain radar running in the background and we have a few more hours to come. Its not going to be a good drive up the M5 this eve.

Not sure if we will be foxing this eve.

D

Chucking it down in Leicestershire and has been since I got my last bale of hay in at about 10.30am. Not smug at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    The eastern half of NI has been pretty dry for two months, with little rain of an consequence, but it has been cold and windy. I've had the fire lit three or four nights over the past week.

I was out fishing in a charter boat in Lough Swilly a few weeks ago, the skipper told us that water temperatures are down 2 degrees on normal for this time of year and the fishing was slow as a result.
    I was over there last weekend, and guess what. It rained. Lots. Damn weather. Sat in the garden Sunday afternoon. Got 10 minutes sun and said that's it, off to the airport now. Sigh.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .