Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recommended available powders

recommended available powders

Morning all,

I'm looking for some advise on powders, I'm a newbie when it comes to homeloading. I'm currently using hogsdon h4831 but I'm now struggling to source any down here in Devon, what other powders are there out there that are easier to obtain.
    The load I'm currently using 39gr of powder with a hornady 100gr btsp,
    Many thanks
    Ross

You don't say which cartridge you are loading but if .243 then Viht N160 is excellent.

same as above or h414 but use mag primers or vv140 sport arm in Dorset had some STORIES OF VARGET COMING BACK IN SOON ??? . if you could post the cal then there is more help out there for you feller h4831/sc ? so could be a 25-06 etc if you see our point.
    Last edited by paul o'; 25-07-2015 at 12:56. Reason: Productive smelling

Vit 140 is arguably the best powder for medium sixed cartridges based on the 308 case and is very good in the 243.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Vit 140 is arguably the best powder for medium sixed cartridges based on the 308 case and is very good in the 243.

Ian.
    I keep thinking I'd like to try some and one of the shops in the City has it, but the price is half-again what our domestic powders cost. At the volume I shoot it's just too costly. BTW, the cheapest domestic powder available in my area? H414. Less than half of the Vhit price. In my 243's it was the top performer with 100 grain SP's.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I keep thinking I'd like to try some and one of the shops in the City has it, but the price is half-again what our domestic powders cost. At the volume I shoot it's just too costly. BTW, the cheapest domestic powder available in my area? H414. Less than half of the Vhit price. In my 243's it was the top performer with 100 grain SP's.~Muir
    Muir
    is that for a pound or a kilo of vhit ?
    Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post

H414 was the best performing powder in my 243 when I had one. Viht n140 is a favourite of mine great in the 308 family as whitebeard has already pointed out and in my 6.5x47.

Another for H414, meters very accurately through the thrower and gives good results through my 243

Sorry just got back in, calibre is 243, haven't read through all your replys yet.

The viht n140 seems to be readily available here and it's seems it has a good following on here, ile look up some load data and have a go with it,