Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using 6.5x55MS

using 6.5x55MS

Can someone tell me the legal position regarding the use of this rifle in Scotland?

I assume you mean the 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenar ?

If so, and you're concerned about such things, no doubt it could be hand loaded to meet the minimum velocity and energy requirements. I'd start with a 120gr bullet and go from there.

I have no idea what might be possible with factory ammo, if such a thing could be bought.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 25-07-2015 at 16:34.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I'd like to see someone using it. It's a nice little cartridge.~Muir

I had a 6.5x54 MS carbine. The 140-gr Norma ammunition which came with it was listed as 2,335 FPS, but out of the 20-inch barrel, I only got 2,250 FPS. It killed deer for me, but I employed it inside 100 yards. It would be crazy to put some velocity threshold on a cartridge like this or the .30-30, which have killed enough came to sink a battleship.

The friend to whom I sold it to complete his safari rifle battery has found the Hornady 129-gr SPT flat base Interlock over 44.0 grains of H-4831 to give 2,370 FPS and 1-inch groups with the little 4x Zeiss scope.

In its standard form, North of the border, it's roe only. Rest of the UK, small deer only. I think, if you could load it to meet the minimum velocity in Scotland (a big if), you'd have to use such a light bullet that it would be a varmint rated one. In England and Wales, I don't think you'll get it to 1700 ft/lbs.
    The cartridge was never meant to run at these levels.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I bet a 100 g TTSX or 125g partition could be made legal and would work fine at moderate ranges

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    In its standard form, North of the border, it's roe only. Rest of the UK, small deer only. I think, if you could load it to meet the minimum velocity in Scotland (a big if), you'd have to use such a light bullet that it would be a varmint rated one. In England and Wales, I don't think you'll get it to 1700 ft/lbs. The cartridge was never meant to run at these levels.
    Not so depending on a number of factors.
    A 160gn bullet from the short barrel 18" of the MSch 1903 stutzen would not reach minimum MV of 2450fps or the appropriate ME of 1750ft lbs so should not be used. From a 22.5" barrel the MV would still be slightly low and therefore could not be used.

However, a 140gn bullet could most certainly be utilised and 2450fps & the necessary ME is definitely achievable using a 22.5" barrelled MSch in 6.5x54.

Of course it seems nuts really as this magical little rifle/cartridge historically speaking, possibly accounted for more reds/roe shot in Scotland in the last century than any other - and using the 160gn bullet too!

There was incidentally a 6.5x55MSch built between 1950 & 1964.....and it may be this model the OP refers to??
    Last edited by deeangeo; 26-07-2015 at 10:23.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Kynoch 6.5x54 Mannlicher Schoenauer
    Kynamco's data for 140gr pill and 26" tube. Not sure what the loss per " would be.

For handloads, the 120gr bullet that comes to mind is the plastic-pointed one that Norma load in the factory stuff. I can't remember what it is, though - but it isn't so lightly-built as to be varmint-only.

If you ever get a chance to see one of the documentaries on the assassination of President Kennedy, there is a recent one done with the Army ballistics expert who tested Lee Harvey Oswald's 6.5 Carcano rifle back then. He fires several different rifles into wood and gelatin, including a 6.5x54 MS with a 156-gr RN bullet. The penetration is no only very long, but in a straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    In its standard form.....Rest of the UK, small deer only....... In England and Wales, I don't think you'll get it to 1700 ft/lbs.
    The cartridge was never meant to run at these levels.
    Really? Everything I've read puts it over 1700 ft-lbs. Not by much mind so every component and the rifle itself will be instrumental in keeping it legal, but that's no different to many 'borderline' (energy-wise) cartridges.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me