Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Load data for IMR4350 and 30cal 150grain SST

  1. #1

    Load data for IMR4350 and 30cal 150grain SST

    Evening all,

    I'm new to reloading and as such settled on IMR4350 as it was one of the powders in my Lyman manual that I had data for the different bullets and calibres I'm reloading for. I figured one powder to start with would be easier/safer. However I've gotten hold of a box of 150 grain SST bullets for my 308Win but there is no data for this combo of powder and bullet. I've checked all the obvious places and no joy so can anyone help?

    if no luck I guess I'll just have to use up what I've got and then experiment with different powders in the future.

  2. #2
    lots out there mty just found this http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...bodjl5LgsBezjg

    but in my mind that is far to slow for a .308 look at h4895 imr 4895 vv140 etc , have a look on the net mty at such like the hodgdon site
    looking for h4350 or imr myself

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Evening all,

    I'm new to reloading and as such settled on IMR4350 as it was one of the powders in my Lyman manual that I had data for the different bullets and calibres I'm reloading for. I figured one powder to start with would be easier/safer. However I've gotten hold of a box of 150 grain SST bullets for my 308Win but there is no data for this combo of powder and bullet. I've checked all the obvious places and no joy so can anyone help?

    if no luck I guess I'll just have to use up what I've got and then experiment with different powders in the future.
    That's because it's pretty slow for that application. If you look at the 7-08 data for a 150 grain bullet you find that it tops out at 46 grains, beginning at 44.1 in the Hodgdon data. The top load is compressed. I'm guessing that in a 308, a load that meters close to the base of the neck would be where I'd start using the same weight bullet.~Muir

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    That's because it's pretty slow for that application. If you look at the 7-08 data for a 150 grain bullet you find that it tops out at 46 grains, beginning at 44.1 in the Hodgdon data. The top load is compressed. I'm guessing that in a 308, a load that meters close to the base of the neck would be where I'd start using the same weight bullet.~Muir
    Is that because its a relatively light bullet? The Lyman manual did have data for IMR4350 for a 168grain HPBT. Without simplifing it too much Would it be best getting a faster powder for lighter bullets and slower for heavier?

  5. #5
    It would be. I like IMR 4064 for my 150 SST's. If the Lyman book gives IMR4350 data for the 168 then use it for the 150. No harm will come of it.~Muir

  6. #6
    I assumed it would work but couldn't find any data for IMR4350 in any 150 grain bullet weight so wasnt sure where to start with minimum loads etc.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    It would be. I like IMR 4064 for my 150 SST's. If the Lyman book gives IMR4350 data for the 168 then use it for the 150. No harm will come of it.~Muir
    Yep: 4064, 4895, RL-15, or Varget... all about 44.0 to 46.0 grains will give very great accuracy and 2,700 to 2,800 FPS.
    46.0 of IMR-4350 will only you give you 2,500 FPS with the same 150-gr bullets, and that is a full case, compressed load.

  8. #8
    I think I may stick to the 168 Sierras I have and once they run out or at lease the 4350 does then start again with some different powders

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    I think I may stick to the 168 Sierras I have and once they run out or at lease the 4350 does then start again with some different powders
    It's not and awful thing to have more than one kind of powder on the shelf. If you can find IMR 4064 you could have fun with either bullet weight in the 308. Save the 4350 for the others? ~Muir

  10. #10
    I think you're right, I wanted to keep it simple by having one powder for all to start with and the 4350 looks like it will work well with the 308 and 168grain bullets and the 243 and 85grain bullets and once I've experimented with those I will get something more suitable for the SST bullets

Similar Threads

  1. hornady 125 sst load data in 308
    By 223 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 08:19
  2. 6.5x55 Hornady SST 140gr load data
    By david1976 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 30-03-2014, 08:45
  3. 150grain 30cal interloc
    By pete evans in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-01-2014, 18:51
  4. Reloading data TU3000 in 6.5x55 with 129 Horandy SST
    By mark-joppa in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-07-2013, 22:10
  5. .260 129gr SST load data
    By Milligan in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 20:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •