Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seatrout

Seatrout

Nice fish on Thursday night, 10lb 12oz cock fish, bar of silver fresh off the tide ( pic taken on my phone not very good )

Attachment 59482

Bob

That's a beauty, in nice condition too.

Looks like it was worth the trip up mate

Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    That's a beauty, in nice condition too.
    Cheers Paul,
    It was in perfect condition, they just don`t come any better straight off the tide, fished all night ( caught this one at 1.20 am ) just had the one pull
    The rivers very low but still plenty of fish ( Seatrout ) pushing through, alarmingly though there are very few salmon

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Feeder View Post
    Looks like it was worth the trip up mate

Dave
    you know me , slim chance on the river is better than no chance at home!

Bob

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    What a lovely looking fish - what did you take it on?
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

That's going to taste great!
    Starbucks. It's not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by bobg757 View Post
    Cheers Paul,
    It was in perfect condition, they just don`t come any better straight off the tide, fished all night ( caught this one at 1.20 am ) just had the one pull
    The rivers very low but still plenty of fish ( Seatrout ) pushing through, alarmingly though there are very few salmon
    That's a cracking fish.

It looks like our sea trout didn't come in until the decent tides last weekend so that is very late for them, maybe a month late, until then there was basically nothing.

The salmon are usually a few weeks after them so although there are small numbers of grilse coming in off the tides the big run hasn't come yet but I'm hopeful that they will come in on the big tides at the end of this week. It has been a fairly wet year so there is enough water for salmon to run in a lot of places, if not ideal water for fishing, but most anglers are still only getting 1 or 2 salmon for a day and we'd be expecting a lot better than that on the decent days. So, fingers crossed that your salmon will come over the next few weeks and maybe even on the big tides this weekend.

I'm told that the sea temperatures are 2 degrees down on normal this summer and so I'm left wondering if that is what is slowing them down. In a way if they are late it suits me as I'm heading for Lewis on Tuesday for fish for 10 weeks and it would be nice if the main run arrived the same time I did :-) Knowing my luck instead the "drought of doom" will arrive same time I do!
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Where was the trout? East coast? It is a beauty.
    Re Caorach - fishing for 10 weeks! That is a proper trip. Do you have river or loch access?

Quote Originally Posted by oager View Post
    Where was the trout? East coast? It is a beauty.
    Re Caorach - fishing for 10 weeks! That is a proper trip. Do you have river or loch access?
    Heading for the Isle of Lewis so 10 weeks isn't anywhere near enough to cover all the water I have access to, but it is the best I can manage and unfortunately means I will be coming home before the hinds start. I've no idea how many trout lochs there are, people say it is 1200 or 2000, so some are near the road and some require a tent and an overnight. There are also a good number (certainly 30+) of salmon and sea trout waters, some extremely productive indeed (The record for a single rod is 54 salmon and 15 sea trout for a day but I fished with a friend a while back who had 22 sea trout to about 6lb for a day), and access is usually simple and sometimes free or inexpensive.

So, going to Lewis for a week is less than ideal :-) I don't have any big plans but have never had 10 salmon in a day and might like to give that a try and I also have an inclination to trying for a salmon, sea trout and brown trout in a day. Mostly I enjoy the day out too much for things like that and spend most of the time making tea so if I'm to get 10 salmon then I'll need to get out of bed before lunch time and I'll need to limit the tea brewing and frying up bacon so that there is some actual fishing time.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

10 weeks. I can't imagine getting 10 weeks off work.

I think I'd guilt trip early in the third week.

Beautiful sea sea trout by the way.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......