Seatrout

That's a beauty, in nice condition too.

Cheers Paul,
It was in perfect condition, they just don`t come any better straight off the tide, fished all night ( caught this one at 1.20 am ) just had the one pull
The rivers very low but still plenty of fish ( Seatrout ) pushing through, alarmingly though there are very few salmon

Looks like it was worth the trip up mate :D

Dave
you know me , slim chance on the river is better than no chance at home!

Bob

Cheers Paul,
It was in perfect condition, they just don`t come any better straight off the tide, fished all night ( caught this one at 1.20 am ) just had the one pull
The rivers very low but still plenty of fish ( Seatrout ) pushing through, alarmingly though there are very few salmon

That's a cracking fish.

It looks like our sea trout didn't come in until the decent tides last weekend so that is very late for them, maybe a month late, until then there was basically nothing.

The salmon are usually a few weeks after them so although there are small numbers of grilse coming in off the tides the big run hasn't come yet but I'm hopeful that they will come in on the big tides at the end of this week. It has been a fairly wet year so there is enough water for salmon to run in a lot of places, if not ideal water for fishing, but most anglers are still only getting 1 or 2 salmon for a day and we'd be expecting a lot better than that on the decent days. So, fingers crossed that your salmon will come over the next few weeks and maybe even on the big tides this weekend.

I'm told that the sea temperatures are 2 degrees down on normal this summer and so I'm left wondering if that is what is slowing them down. In a way if they are late it suits me as I'm heading for Lewis on Tuesday for fish for 10 weeks and it would be nice if the main run arrived the same time I did :) Knowing my luck instead the "drought of doom" will arrive same time I do!

Where was the trout? East coast? It is a beauty.
Re Caorach - fishing for 10 weeks! That is a proper trip. Do you have river or loch access?

Re Caorach - fishing for 10 weeks! That is a proper trip. Do you have river or loch access?

Heading for the Isle of Lewis so 10 weeks isn't anywhere near enough to cover all the water I have access to, but it is the best I can manage and unfortunately means I will be coming home before the hinds start. I've no idea how many trout lochs there are, people say it is 1200 or 2000, so some are near the road and some require a tent and an overnight. There are also a good number (certainly 30+) of salmon and sea trout waters, some extremely productive indeed (The record for a single rod is 54 salmon and 15 sea trout for a day but I fished with a friend a while back who had 22 sea trout to about 6lb for a day), and access is usually simple and sometimes free or inexpensive.

So, going to Lewis for a week is less than ideal :) I don't have any big plans but have never had 10 salmon in a day and might like to give that a try and I also have an inclination to trying for a salmon, sea trout and brown trout in a day. Mostly I enjoy the day out too much for things like that and spend most of the time making tea so if I'm to get 10 salmon then I'll need to get out of bed before lunch time and I'll need to limit the tea brewing and frying up bacon so that there is some actual fishing time.

10 weeks. I can't imagine getting 10 weeks off work.

I think I'd guilt trip early in the third week.

Beautiful sea sea trout by the way.

10 weeks. I can't imagine getting 10 weeks off work.

I think I'd guilt trip early in the third week.

I'd have liked another month to have a go at the hinds as well Brian, but hopefully might get a stag. It is one of those things that the chance doesn't come along very often so you have to make the best of it, so there'll be no guilt trips :) Even after 25 years of fishing out there at least a month per year it is amazing to get the map out and look at the places I haven't been to yet, 10 weeks is nowhere near enough!

Last week I was in Sutherland and bumped into someone in The Craisk Inn who was just returning from Lewis and on their way home to Aberdeenshire. IIRC they had 27 fish for the week, which sounded good going - certainly better than I'd enjoyed.

I was also told that the lower temperature was keeping the salmon at sea off Sutherland.....mind you, I was also told I should have been there the previous week ;)

alarmingly though there are very few salmon.

Sea trout will run up the river no matter how much water is in the river, salmon however, will only run during a spate.

Sea trout will run up the river no matter how much water is in the river, salmon however, will only run during a spate.

I don't think this is completely true. I suspect that we, generally, don't do well at catching them in lower water conditions. However salmon will run in relatively low water, maybe not as low as with sea trout but much lower than I imagined, and we saw this last year when there was no water but the fish kept coming in and kept moving up the rivers. Certainly where I fish the tides are important, maybe this is related to the nature of the rivers, so when the water is low the fish will usually require a high tide to move in which is why I'm pinning my hopes on the big tides at the end of this coming week as although we are not going to have much water the tide should be enough to bring the fish in if they appear.

What a lovely looking fish - what did you take it on?

1inch black and silver tube with JC cheeks

East Coast

Now that is a fish of a lifetime, congrats.
Cheers
Richard

Thanks Richard

alarmingly though there are very few salmon.

Seatrout will run on a wet pebble, where as Salmon do like a lift in water before they make their mind up to go for it

Well done young Bob! One day....

"G" .. You know you have an open invitation to come whenever you want

Bob

It is hard to tell from that photo but every time I look at it my first thought is that it is a salmon. So I just have to ask - are you sure it was a sea trout? I'm not trying to be smart and have been just accepting that as you saw it while I only have a photo that you must be right but first glance every time my head thinks it is a salmon.

Got to agree with Caorach and say looks more like a salmon from what I can see in the picture. Might be wrong as camera angles etc can be quite deceiving.
Below is a guide taken from Atlantic Salmon website on telling the difference.
  1. Salmon can be distinguished from large sea trout by a more streamlined shape, concave tail, slimmer tail wrist, upper jaw reaching no further than rear of the eye, few if any black spots below lateral line, 10-15 (usually 11-13) scales counted obliquely forward from adipose fin to lateral line - trout have 13-16

Last edited:
Back