Thread: .357 at 300 yards?

.357 at 300 yards?

I am wondering if there is any good load data for .357 at 300 yards?

I see that some people shoot this out to 300 but I wondered if it is really that suitable for 300 yards?

This is for paper punching, of course.

Cheers,
    Roodles

It's all the same data whether it's 10 yards or 300.
    Is it a 300 yard target round? From a lever gun? No. Can you shoot it at that distance? Yes. I have for fun. (revolver) The bluntish pistol bullets aren't made for distance.~Muir

For fun I just plugged in the Hornady XTP 158 grain at 1600 into my ballistics program. Just over five feet of drop at 300 with a 100 yard zero @ 1600 fps MV. A 10 mph wind needs almost 3 feet of correction.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 26-07-2015 at 15:00.

Sorry I should have been more specific... For shorter ranges (25yrds) I use a reduced load, so I was asking specifically for "full house" loads.

Ok, it sounds like I will keep the .357 for 100 yards and use the .308 for everything else... ! I was just wondering if anyone used .357 regularly at 200 or 300.

Many thanks,
    Roodles

Quote Originally Posted by roodles View Post
    Sorry I should have been more specific... For shorter ranges (25yrds) I use a reduced load, so I was asking specifically for "full house" loads.

Ok, it sounds like I will keep the .357 for 100 yards and use the .308 for everything else... ! I was just wondering if anyone used .357 regularly at 200 or 300.

Many thanks,
    Roodles
    I used .357 revolver for metallic silhouette comps at 50 - 200M twice a month for almost 10 years and it (the round) shot as well as I did. Full house loads are just that: pick your powder and work up.

I have been working on Lil Gun loads for my revolver because, if you check out the data, you see that the speeds are high (for a pistol) and the pressures are low. A 10 inch pistol is getting almost as much MV as a 20" rifle. For reasons unknown to me, the Lil Gun data is only listed for handguns and not in the rifle section. I don't know whether they just hadn't gotten around to testing it in a rifle or not, but i can tell you that I'm getting some darned peppy loads from my 8.375" S&W Model 27 revolver and spectacular accuracy using a 158 grain Hornady. No signs of pressure, either. Round primers and ejecting all six empties with a light stroke on the ejector rod.

If you're looking for speed and accuracy -for whatever the distance- Lil Gun might be the place to start.
    Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading

~Muir

Rob you're never going to win the McQueens with .357 face it!
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    Rob you're never going to win the McQueens with .357 face it!
    I'm going to use the hornet at the next Mqueens (too easy with the .223 hey Ken?) so we can have our own side conp with unsuitable calibres!

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    I'm going to use the hornet at the next Mqueens (too easy with the .223 hey Ken?) so we can have our own side conp with unsuitable calibres!
    its not the same now the Roodles AK is not in the race
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Cheers guys

Lol yes the AK is long gone.

I've not used lil gun before, I shall have a look... Cheers!

60 inches of drop at 300 yards for a .357 handgun bullet is the same as a .308 Win bullet at 550 yards.... the target just looks bigger.