Photos of Giant Muntjack

Harry mac

A couple of years ago much fuss was made about the fact that a photo had been taken of a little known strain of muntjack called the Giant Antlered Muntjack. Apparently it was the first time this animal had been caught on film.
Can I take it from this then that the humongous specemin briefly shown in the film Apocalypse Now (round about the same time you see the tiger in the jungle) was not "giant antlered"? It really did have some impressive head-gear on it.

Forgive me for sounding daft here, but the Munties on my ground are pretty hefty. How big does a regular one get? I've only ever seen a Munty on the one permission and they look more like the size of CWD from the pictures I've seen of people holding them!

I'd expect a mature muntjac buck from my patch to go to larder (head and legs on) at 27 or 28lbs on average, does maybe a couple of pounds lighter. Anything over 30lbs is well above average although I've had a few of these over the years as well. The biggest I've heard of was 37lbs, but that's abnormally massive.

Muntjac are pretty much the same size as CWD, although these are rather more lightly built and 'leggier'.

When I finally get to shoot one I'll weigh it. The trouble is my stalking doesn't seem to be up to Munty standard yet! I can creep up and nearly touch a Roe but getting within 100 yards of a Munty without it running has so far proved impossible! It's like they have eyes in their arses or something!

I'd expect a mature muntjac buck from my patch to go to larder (head and legs on) at 27 or 28lbs on average, does maybe a couple of pounds lighter. Anything over 30lbs is well above average although I've had a few of these over the years as well. The biggest I've heard of was 37lbs, but that's abnormally massive.

Muntjac are pretty much the same size as CWD, although these are rather more lightly built and 'leggier'.

I'll bet that when you get one of those critters boned out it would make a good pie... or maybe you could stuff a small goose with it?? :p ~Muir

I'll bet that when you get one of those critters boned out it would make a good pie... or maybe you could stuff a small goose with it?? :p ~Muir

You sir, have defamed my quarry of choice. I demand satisfaction. If you won't fight me I'll settle for an invite hog huntin' on the ground of your choice:D
As for approaching munties, I've found that more often than not I don't see a muntjack and stalk it, I stalk quietly until I see a muntjack.

Well, it's many years since I saw the film, so can't remember exactly what the deer looked like, but I do remember thinking that it looked like somebody had glued roe antlers on a munty. No thoughts, then, on the type of munty seen in the film?

Was this the beast? (I cant have attached the photo in my gallery)
View attachment 862

I take NO credit if it is. I just happened upon the fella in a book (Everyone recommended And it is a Very Good read) "Muntjac - Managing an alien species" by Charles Smith-Jones.
The name of the beast is Unsuprisingly THE GIANT Muntjac - Megamuntiacus Vuquangensis. I cant see why it would not be him as he lives in the Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos areas. Hes makes our local Muntys look like toys as he weighs up to110lbs ! Hope this helps.

Back