Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blitzkings vs Varmint Grenades

Blitzkings vs Varmint Grenades

I've just started reloading for my .223, it's also the first time I've use a full length sizer as can be seen in this blurry pic where I didn't back the die out of the press properly and gave a good hard yank on the handle.

Anyway you definately get more of a "feel" of something happening with FL sizing unlike neck sizing which seems more like guess work to me.

I wasn't sure whether the 50Grn VarmintGrenades would stabilise in my CZ so I bought some 50Grn Blitzkings. I made up 16 VG's with 25grn up to 25.9grn of H335 and 3 Blitzkings with 25Grn H335. I set them all to the same OAL as the homeloads that a guy made up for me a while back thinking I'd have no problems. I didn't bank on the VG's blunter profile and luckily I tried to chamber them before I left the house and they jammed straight into the rifleing! Lesson 1 always make u a dummy round and work out the distance to lands! Being in a rush I had to re seat them a bit at a time until they were no longer touching with a COAL of 2.210 the Blitzkings had plenty of room and they were left at 2.245.
    Blitzkings

VarmintGrenades

After reseating the VG's i was a little concerned about excessive pressure due to them being so long and set so deep into the case. I pulled the trigger anyway and fired 2, the primers did look a bit flatter than normal so i fired the 3 Gamekings, they looked no different so I assumed pressure wasn't an issue and I went ahead and fired the rest, checking the cases each time I went up .3grns. At first the group seemed acceptable, apart from a weird horizontal stringing that my rifle has never done before. The Blitz's were smack on, assuming I pulled the last shot. The loads 25.3grns to 25.9 were all off to the top right of the targets and a couple of inches apart, strange but when we finished firing everything off I realised the mod had come slightly loose so may have accounted for the weird grouping so I came away with more questions than I started with but my mate shot a crow at 160yds with my x6 Swarovski and one of the few Blitkings I have left so all was not lost

One thing I did learn was even after passing through a 3/4inch ply board the grenades still blew big holes in the ground, far bigger than the Blitz's. So much for exploding when hitting a grape eh!

Mick

What made you think the VG might not stabilize in your CZ? Too long??~Muir

On the box it says a 1 in 10 twist or faster is needed. Thinks the cz is 1 in 12. They are long because they dont have a lead core, its a copper tin composite core. Now did the groups get bigger because they didn't like more powder or was it as the mod got more loose as you shot. Told you to crank it tight, back to the drawing board for you. Andy said he would buy half the box off you if wanted to get rid.

Gottcha. I have heard little good about the accuracy levels of the VG.~Muir

Moral of story, don't do anything reloading related in a rush,& put a chrony on your christmas list!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Mick, I'm a bit confused by your first image. I think it shows that there's a donut at the shoulder of the case? Was this caused by full sizing? Or was it caused by seating the bullet?
    Just curious.

Guesty, there is also a dent below the shoulder, along with the doughnut, I'm pretty sure Mick now has things under control now!, badly adjusted dies will throw all sorts of wierd shaped cases, along with over lubed dies / cases doing the same, a measured approach to anything to do with reloading, is an absolute must do, chucking something in the breech & hoping to achieve your goal is a recipe for disaster.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Guesty, there is also a dent below the shoulder, along with the doughnut, I'm pretty sure Mick now has things under control now!, badly adjusted dies will throw all sorts of wierd shaped cases, along with over lubed dies / cases doing the same, a measured approach to anything to do with reloading, is an absolute must do, chucking something in the breech & hoping to achieve your goal is a recipe for disaster.
    I'm glad Mick has got it all sorted out, but I am curious why there is a seated bullet in a damaged case. If it got damaged by the seating itself, then I can understand it. If the damage was caused by the sizing, why seat a bullet afterwards?

Hiya Guesty,

The damage to the case was caused by seating the bullet. When I screwed the die into the press I screwed it in until it touched the shellholder instead of following the instructions and screwing it in until it touched the case mouth and then backing it out 1/2 turn.

If that makes sense

Mick

Interesting read, the first pic looks very much like my first complete round
    Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but I thought I'd share my learnings.

Do you have a comparator? As you've discovered, working with OAL's isn't all that helpfull when switching between different varieties i.e. boat tail, flat etc.
    The sinclair is simple, straightforward and reasonably priced.

I've found that changing the OAL returns results faster than changing powders/charges.

By choosing a powder charge in the middle of the recommended range, starting with the recommended COL and working up to the max for your rifle in incremenets of 0.01" you shouldn't encounter any pressure issues. I make 3 rounds per length with the same powder charge. e.g. 2.26, 2.27, 2.28 etc up to the max for my gun 2.31

Your guns might be different but the times I've done this, I've gotten sub 1/2" groups on the first test outing (.308 and .223). Once you've got the COL down you can chrony and work the charges for optimum. Using a comparator will allow you to switch bullets without the guess work and still have the same jump to the lands - safely!