Thread: NV Batteries Lessons?

NV Batteries Lessons?

For most of the south UK, today has been a wet & windy wash-out of a day so i thought i'd catch up on some unfinished DIY. Around 5pm I had just packed the tools away and walked up to the green house when my wife came out and shouted to me that there was a fox in the garden trying to get in the chicken pen. Running back to the house mad panic ensured as I battled to get 5 dogs shut in when they knew something was a foot and were all trying to get out. As I passed the back window I saw foxy still there scraping at the wire, fumbling in my pocket I got the rifle cabinet keys out, opened the door and thought 'which gun? Seconds passed as I tried to decide, the .243' moderator was unscrewed, the .22LR might not stop him, so I grabbed the .17HMR fitted with a Pulsar N750 not really ideal for daylight but will do the job. So trying to rush but not fumble I opened the ammo box, got the magazine, fitted the bolt and ran up stairs. By this time foxy was still there but had moved halfway across the field to my second chicken pen looking for an easier way in. I opened the window, foxy looked up at me and moved quickly to the hedge I got him in the sight & squeaked to stop him. He stopped. looking at me, I concentrated on the shot and......................the batteries in the NV failed and all went black and my Todd trotted off down the valley.
    Any suggestions as to the moral of this experience?

1) Build a more fox proof enclosure
    2) leave him to sniff around as you should no he won't get in
    3) put a bit of bait down just to tempt him back
    4) get organised and ready for when he comes Back then finish the job properly and professionally rather than rushing

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesm11 View Post
    For most of the south UK, today has been a wet & windy wash-out of a day so i thought i'd catch up on some unfinished DIY. Around 5pm I had just packed the tools away and walked up to the green house when my wife came out and shouted to me that there was a fox in the garden trying to get in the chicken pen. Running back to the house mad panic ensured as I battled to get 5 dogs shut in when they knew something was a foot and were all trying to get out. As I passed the back window I saw foxy still there scraping at the wire, fumbling in my pocket I got the rifle cabinet keys out, opened the door and thought 'which gun? Seconds passed as I tried to decide, the .243' moderator was unscrewed, the .22LR might not stop him, so I grabbed the .17HMR fitted with a Pulsar N750 not really ideal for daylight but will do the job. So trying to rush but not fumble I opened the ammo box, got the magazine, fitted the bolt and ran up stairs. By this time foxy was still there but had moved halfway across the field to my second chicken pen looking for an easier way in. I opened the window, foxy looked up at me and moved quickly to the hedge I got him in the sight & squeaked to stop him. He stopped. looking at me, I concentrated on the shot and......................the batteries in the NV failed and all went black and my Todd trotted off down the valley.
    Any suggestions as to the moral of this experience?
    back up iron sights off set from the mains
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Connect the EPS3 battery pack every time you use it. Duracell battery life in Digisights is a joke, and the Photon is not much better.

I have a rifle dedicated to such a situation. The rifle is first to hand in the cabinet as is the moderator. I keep 2 cartridges loose in the lock up top with the bolt next to them. That way everything is to hand and I don't have to fumble round opening ammo boxes yet the ammo and bolt are still separate in the cabinet. A loaded mag may be one step better but may be misconstrued as a loaded rifle by some. I have heard of some getting their knuckles rapped by the FEO for ammo in a buttstock holder so that is a no no

Yes called sods law. First thing is do not panic as things will go wrong. Suggest you should have used the LR. Now always keep a spare set of batteries in box in jacket, they only ever run out when you have no spares.

D