A July morning on the Wicklow hills...

Glen of Imaal

Inspired by willie_gunn's fantastic photographs, I dug out the camera and went up on the hills for a ramble. Our season doesn't start till September, so it's always nice during the off season to stretch the legs and have a look around. I saw 3 peregrine falcons, a hen harrier and a few deer...

DSC_0102.jpgDSC_0357.jpgDSC_0339.jpgDSC_0314.jpgDSC_0282.jpgDSC_0275.jpgDSC_0266.jpgDSC_0263.jpgDSC_0247.jpgDSC_0237.jpgDSC_0172.jpgDSC_0163.jpgDSC_0148.jpgDSC_0124.jpgDSC_0379.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely stuff - I do love the contrast between the rich redness of their coats and the landscape behind. You've taken some cracking photos there, and I particularly like the last one.

Thanks Scott, it was a lovely morning to be out, it's been a pretty hectic last few months so it was nice to get out for a wander.

Thanks willie_gunn. I think they are beautiful animals but I am a bit biased towards Sika...:)
We must address that lack of familiarity with them some time. A mutual friend, 243 varmint, is coming over in November to hopefully solve that very problem himself.

Last edited:
Thanks willie_gunn. I think they are beautiful animals but I am a bit biased towards Sika...:)
We must address that lack of familiarity with them some time. A mutual friend, 243 varmint, is coming over in November to hopefully solve that very problem himself.

Spoke with Jon last night - hopefully this coming weekend we'll catch up with a beast or two when he's up here with me :D

Cracking pics mate and very vivid. Can you tell me what camera you used and at what distance, as i am looking for something thats not to big, heavy and just does not feel good carrying about....

Thanks Tumbleweed, glad you enjoyed them. The camera is an old Nikon d50 that I've had for 10 years or so, with a Sigma 70-300mm lense. There were loads of rocky outcrops for cover so I was able to get quite close, about 40- 50 yards. I prefer the old Nikon because it's light and I won't cry too much if it gets dropped...

Back