fuel prices

swarovski

Not sure if ive missed someting but in all garages I've passed over the last week unleaded and diesel are the same price

Why? Its been 5p more expensive for ages until recently.

There was a report on the news over the weekend on it saying there is more diesel than petrol about so they can reduce diesel costs. Also they were saying it will have a positive impact on the valuation of diesel vehicles.

Or something along them lines.

Last edited:
There was a report on the news over the weekend on it saying there is more diesel than petrol about so they can reduce diesel costs. Also they were saying it will have a positive impact on the valuation of diesel vehicles.

Or something along them lines.

Diesel wholesale prices are down over 40% from just over a year ago and the demand for Diesel in Europe has fallen.

Thanks chaps.

Good news.

I have been noticing a continual drop. I went past a place in Cheltenham yesterday where it was 111p per litre

at our local garage its now £20 cheaper to fill up my ford ranger than it was 8 months ago, i could prob get cheaper than that but i like to support local businesses.

I don't know what it's like now, but 5 years ago in Germany, diesel was about 75% of the petrol price.

Fuel price is "artificially" low e.g. to put pressure on Russia.

Tax structure makes the pump prices different in some countries. Like here in Finland diesel has been traditionally taxed lower to support transport business, and diesel passenger cars have to pay yearly "diesel tax".

Last week diesel dropped 4p to 112.9p and was for the first time in 8 years cheaper than petrol.

I have twice weekly fuel price alerts sent to me and thus can select fuel in Taunton/Bristol as I have to drive past numerous supplies. If you are ever in Bristol then ASDA/Morrisons at Cribbs causeway are always the cheapest and its a 5 min detour of the M5 southbound should you be travelling to the S West

D

Last week diesel dropped 4p to 112.9p and was for the first time in 8 years cheaper than petrol.

I have twice weekly fuel price alerts sent to me and thus can select fuel in Taunton/Bristol as I have to drive past numerous supplies. If you are ever in Bristol then ASDA/Morrisons at Cribbs causeway are always the cheapest and its a 5 min detour of the M5 southbound should you be travelling to the S West

D

I think we're all a bit punchy over fuel costs to the extent that nobody notices.

This appeared in that scurrilous rag 'The Guardian' over a week ago.

This was just after I'd filled up my very frugal Connect which does 50 MPG at the weekend. 47 litres at 122p cost £57.28. If I'd waited until the following week I'd have saved over £1, after counting in the extra mileage to get to Morrisons.

I can't imagine what a high-mileage driver of a 4x4 must be paying.:rolleyes:

Morrisons cuts forecourt price of diesel by up to 2p a litre

THE GUARDIAN Rupert Jones Monday 20 July 2015

Move likely to prompt supermarket price war – and will make average price cheaper than unleaded petrol for first time in 14 years. The RAC Foundation suggested drivers of the 10.7m diesel cars on Britain’s roads had been overcharged by as much as £250m in recent weeks.

Morrisons is stepping up a supermarket price war on the forecourt by cutting the cost of diesel by up to 2p a litre. It said the reduction – which is likely to trigger similar moves by rivals – meant that for the first time in 14 years, average diesel prices would be cheaper than unleaded.

Diesel prices have started coming down after motoring organisations criticised retailers for their high costs. Earlier this month the RAC Foundation suggested that drivers of the 10.7m diesel cars on Britain’s roads had been overcharged by as much as £250m in recent weeks because retailers had not passed on plummeting wholesale prices.

On 9 July – the day after George Osborne froze fuel duty once more in the summer budget – Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Morrisons and Asda all typically cut the cost of diesel by 2p per litre at their combined total of 1,400 filling stations.

At the time, Asda said drivers filling up at its forecourts would pay no more than 114.7p a litre for diesel, matching the cost of its unleaded petrol - the first time both fuels had been the same price since 2010.

Morrisons said that for commercial reasons it did not disclose the average price of a litre of diesel. According to the website PetrolPrices.com, the average cost of a litre of diesel at a UK filling station at the end of last week was 118.21p, while the lowest available price was 112.9p.

The latest Morrisons cut of up to 2p a litre at its 336 petrol stations from 20 July is likely to prompt a fresh round of price reductions. The supermarket said the last time UK diesel pump prices were lower than unleaded was 2001. A spokesman added: “Because of the recent price drops in the wholesale diesel price, we are able to pass on these savings … Many younger drivers won’t remember the last time that diesel prices were lower than unleaded.”

Have diesel cars been unfairly demonised for air pollution? Karl Mathiesen

A new campaign by car makers claims modern diesel engines are clean and have reduced emissions, but experts say they are greenwashing the figures.

It may amount to welcome news for drivers of diesel cars who, the RAC Foundation said less than a fortnight ago, “could be forgiven for feeling short-changed” because pump prices were lagging so far behind wholesale prices. And only last month, a report from the Post Office’s travel money arm had pointed out that the UK was the only one of 22 European countries surveyed where diesel cost more than unleaded petrol.

However, there will be “a handful” of Morrisons filling stations where diesel prices will remain higher than unleaded because of “local competitive factors”. And there was no word from Morrisons on when, or if, unleaded prices would come down; the supermarket said it would “continue to look for opportunities to pass on savings on unleaded as soon as we can”.

I can't imagine what a high-mileage driver of a 4x4 must be paying.:rolleyes:

How about 400+ miles a day at 7.3mpg then ?

It's good that fuel prices are lower, unfortunately, the rates I get paid by the quarry per ton have dropped with the fuel price too !!!

Filled up with diesel yesterday at Tesco; 111p less 6p per litre as I did a shop there last week. 105p seems pretty good to me!

Back