Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hedgehogs - Very few about!

Hedgehogs - Very few about!

The night before last I noticed a hedgehog on the lawn at the front of our flats. You might think that is nothing out of the ordinary but I used to see them on a very regular basis around our flats, sometimes two or three at the same time, but this is the first one I have seen near our flats this year.
    Are you guys that are "out and about" during the night noticing fewer hedgehogs this year than in previous years?

havent seen many hedgehogs, but on a totally separate note the badgers seem to be getting on well

If you can put them somewhere they won't get stolen, try placing trail cameras in likely places.

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    havent seen many hedgehogs, but on a totally separate note the badgers seem to be getting on well
    Yes quite - and the crop damage seems higher along with damage to pens and fencing - strange... but I have noticed an increase in dead badgers on the side of the road!?! Less hedgehogs squashed but more badgers uummhhh....

Very, very few hedgehogs round here, the last one I saw was a couple of years age. I picked it up and brought it into the garden to keep it safe from the vast population of badgers. Next morning I went out to find it and it was floating in the small pond where it had fallen in and drowned. I was gutted!!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    On our trip to Sutherland earlier this month both my wife and I remarked on the number of hedgehogs we saw squashed on the road. Unfortunate, of course, but hopefully a sign of a decent population. Down here in Oxfordshire it is getting to be very rare indeed that we spy a hedgehog carcase, let alone a live one. Five or six years ago we used to see them regularly in our garden, but no longer.

As others have said, the badger population has expanded in that same period....not that I'd ever suggest the two are related of course
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I've not seen any, but dead otters are also starting to appear at roadsides.
    The balance between magpies and songbirds is another theme, unless you blame cats, of course.

Well, I live in Sutherland and the drop in the hedgehog population around us is significantly striking. It used to be they would feed alongside the pine martens on our steps but there have been none this year, so far. The last one in the garden was very shaky and wobbly which apparently is some sort of fatal syndrome for them, and it killed that one.

John

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    On our trip to Sutherland earlier this month both my wife and I remarked on the number of hedgehogs we saw squashed on the road. Unfortunate, of course, but hopefully a sign of a decent population. Down here in Oxfordshire it is getting to be very rare indeed that we spy a hedgehog carcase, let alone a live one. Five or six years ago we used to see them regularly in our garden, but no longer.

As others have said, the badger population has expanded in that same period....not that I'd ever suggest the two are related of course
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Just a thought with zero evidence to back it up. Any animal builds up immunity to the viruses around them. No viruses, no immunity. We wiped out native populations with our ills as we spread them around the world. I wonder what effect the 50,000 released by the rspb, by popular support from those that hate anything to die, from the islands had on the gene pool. Their immune system would be weaker due to lack of exposure?

I saw one just outside my place two nights ago - It was big, strong & healthy - Moved quite quickly too!

Ian