Thread: thermal imaging equment... any users.

thermal imaging equment... any users.

Has any one got or used any thermal imaging equipment.. for wildlufe counts.
    I need to do a Hare count... and was wondering if there is a system that would be any good in stubble and ploughed feilds..

Has any one got a set i could test...

Hi Calvin,

I have used TI extensively on some contract work I have been doing, I also have my own HD38S. TI is certainly money well spent and would be ideal for your hare count.

Standing corn / foliage will absorb heat so a squatting hare in stubble maybe difficult to spot at times. Distances were also quite difficult to judge with TI at first, I was usually much closer to a target than I thought.

ID with TI is easier once an animal is moving, you can easily tell the difference between hare / rabbit etc once you can see it's gait.

ATB

T

You generally need to have line of sight for things to be visible. This could affect your count if crops obscure the animal too much.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Hi Calvin,

I have used TI extensively on some contract work I have been doing, I also have my own HD38S. TI is certainly money well spent and would be ideal for your hare count.

Standing corn / foliage will absorb heat so a squatting hare in stubble maybe difficult to spot at times. Distances were also quite difficult to judge with TI at first, I was usually much closer to a target than I thought.

ID with TI is easier once an animal is moving, you can easily tell the difference between hare / rabbit etc once you can see it's gait.

ATB

T
    Thanks Thomas... this is shy I want to test a set first.. just to try and jystify the price.... if I can see thd hares .. it will be a must have..

Whereabouts in Worcestershire are you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Has any one got or used any thermal imaging equipment.. for wildlufe counts.
    I need to do a Hare count... and was wondering if there is a system that would be any good in stubble and ploughed feilds..

Has any one got a set i could test...

Calvin, I have a Pulsar Quantum HD50, please contact me to try it out one day. It will pick up anything warmer than its surroundings, providing you have a direct line of sight between the lens and the animal, so a hare laying down flat in a form may not be easily seen at a distance. It will pick up any bird/rabbit/hare/fox/badger/small deer up to 400-500 yards and a man-sized object / large deer up to 1200 Yards.

Btw if you're thinking of buying one yourself, I recommend you pick one with a built-in SD Card slot /video, and if a WaterProof model appears on the market go for one that is WP!
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Evesham. WR11 2NP.. Rodp