Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Deer & the Scottish islands of Rum, Islay, Jura, Arran

Red Deer & the Scottish islands of Rum, Islay, Jura, Arran

The release of red deer onto these islands was prohibited by the Wildlife & Countryside Act, this protection was removed by The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Variation of Schedule
    9) (England and Wales) Order 2010.

Was the prohibition then included in Scottish legislation?

why would The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (Variation of Schedule
    9) (England and Wales) Order 2010. have any bearing on the situation in Scotland?

The law on non-native species is still covered by Section 14 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. The Wildlife and Natural Environment (Scotland) Act 2011 made significant amendments to the law in Scotland.

http://www.snh.gov.uk/protecting-scotlands-nature/nonnative-species/law-in-scotland/

Thanks, bizarre how the law worked, the WCA was written before deletion. The Wildlife and Natural Environment (Scotland) Act 2011 as you note continues the prohibition.

from the way I read it the WCA (or at least elements of it) continue in force in Scotland and the WANE act compliments that, but then I am no lawyer......

I think somebody forgot to draw the deers attention to the statutory instruments as they regularly swim between Scarba, Jura and Islay.
    how does that also affect white tailed/sea eagles..another "non native" species?
    Dont you just love poorly worded and thought through legislation?

Strange, because Red deer are surely native to the islands? I worked on Rum for a year, and they certainly looked pretty at home there.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Strange, because Red deer are surely native to the islands? I worked on Rum for a year, and they certainly looked pretty at home there.
    Yes, I think that's the reason you're not aloud to introduce any new ones. The island populations may be pure bred, but introduced deer may be hybrids containing a bit of sika breeding. It's all to do with maintaining genetic purity over genetic diversity. At least, I think that's what the rules are for.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Yes, I think that's the reason you're not allowed to introduce any new ones. The island populations may be pure bred, but introduced deer may be hybrids containing a bit of sika breeding. It's all to do with maintaining genetic purity over genetic diversity. At least, I think that's what the rules are for.

Not entirely true. Certainly Rum has had deer imported from parts forrin in the past. I believe a few animals were imported from Wapiti herds back in the early 20th century by the Bulloughs. Ear samples were sent from animals shot, to be genetically tested and yes, there is no Sika hybridisation but they are definitely not "native" red deer.