Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pros and cons of a 270

pros and cons of a 270

As above, I'm thinking of getting a 270 as it's such a flat shooting round, but alot of people are putting Me off and pointing me in the direction of a 308, what are are your thoughts on the round,?
    Cheers.
    Ross

Toward to previous post my quarry ranges from fox to reds with possibly of boar.

no cons, why have you not bought one yet lol, I love this calibre it will do anything you need it to do and more, like any cal choose the correct bullet for your quarry and your laughing, good luck wayne
    Last edited by mereside; 28-07-2015 at 20:20.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Good round just much out of fashion. I shoot one and can't fault it. Never shot a 308 so can't say it's better or worse. 270 is plenty of gun for anything uk has to offer and over seas if you need.

I would would shoot any non dangerous game out to 300+ yds with mine and a barnes bullet!

the 270 is the maid of all work and will do all you need it to do with no fuss and thats a fact!

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

What about the recoil, does a mod take the harshness out of it,

SD Regular
    Either calibre will do the job. Choose what you prefer - it's a topic people get most animated about. You said flat shooting - 270 over 308 for that if that is your main criterion.

As to recoil - neither are particularly harsh and both respond well to a moderator.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I fancied a 270 on my first application and a few shooters and local shops put me off. I ended up with a 308 as the ammunition, I wasn't a home loader then, is more readily available.
    Flat shooting? umm any calibre shoots a rainbow and 308 isn't one of the best but....... if you know the corrections/distances and have external turrets then the term flat shooting is purely academic; just learn to dial in.

No calibre is bad so it just comes down to what you fancy really.

Yes flat shooting is definitely what I'm after, I'm not after an ultra long range rifle (maximum 300yrds), I don't want to be holding over or dialing in to do so, which is why I'm leaning towards 270.

Quote Originally Posted by eldon View Post
    Flat shooting? umm any calibre shoots a rainbow and 308 isn't one of the best but....... if you know the corrections/distances and have external turrets then the term flat shooting is purely academic; just learn to dial in.
    For me and the little bit of stalking I do, dialling in would not really suit. The thing I like about the .270 is the 200yrd point-blank, and a drop at 300yds that still allows holding 'on' (albeit higher up) a hind, rather than waving the crosshair about some guessed-at hight above its back.
    My reservations about dialling in are mainly that you can't realistically do it with a 6x42 scope, and that I'd be bound to have the sight set wrongly at some point resulting in a FUBAR event.
    300yds might in any case be best regarded as an emergency shot - albeit one that one should be capable of taking if the wind allows it.

Quote Originally Posted by eldon View Post
    No calibre is bad so it just comes down to what you fancy really.
    There is truth here:
    Use 123gr factory loads in a .308 and you have a .270
    Use 150gr factory loads in a .270 and you have a .308