Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 338 wm

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

338 wm

Is this a calibre that is freely used in the UK?

Or is it deemed to be a bit too heavy by the powers to be?

I do realise for the UK species that there isnt a 'need' etc but I dont remember seeing too much on the SD re the cal.
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

I don't know about the UK , but I could count on both hands the number of 338 WM's I've seen out hunting here . It's a very capable round , but for whatever reason just never caught on . Strangely enough , the 375 H & H is fairly popular in these parts . I tend to lean the same way . If I'm going to carry a large caliber , heavy recoiling rifle , I might as well use a cartridge that will shoot as large and heavy a bullet as I can comfortably shoot .......... that and the fact that 375 H&H's are just really cool lol .

AB

In NZ you are more likely find the .338 Lapua Mag than the Winchester half the hunting fraternity want to shoot deer as far away as possible

As long as you are a member of a club hose range is approved for .338 LM then there is no reason why you may not acquire one, however it is unlikely that the police would allow you to use one for hunting, though I know two people who are allowed to hunt with their .338LMs.

I think it is deemed a bit powerful by the powers that be. Though given how popular boar shooting is becoming we might see more of it.

AB, surprising you don't see more of it in your neck of the woods - given it was developed for Alaska I'd have thought you guys would have been all over it.

ATB,

Scrummy
    "He who drags the deer has the last laugh (mainly because he has to get his breath back)"

I love it. I have a couple, one is a rugger M77Mk11 cut down to 22" with express sights & barrel band (done this in the mid 90's before the "hawkeye" came out),it wears a 1x4 X20 for glass & sighted in with 225grn Barnes X & I use 275 grn speers for the open sights. I've shot some of the largest deer I've taken (big elk/red crosses) with the open sights, including using the odd "Texas heart shot" on these. The 275grn 338 pill at 2400fps, will out penetrate a 300 grn pill from a 375 H&H IMO. My other 338 is a Win M70 CRF 26' barrel & 3x9x40 scope, it only shoots 225grn Barnes x after some disasters on big red stags with hornady red tips (bullet choice seems more critical with this cal than any other I've played with). I have shot a "couple" of pigs with the 338 over the years (including the largest boar I've ever seen) but I think it's too much gun even with 200 lighter grn pills for pigs. I haven't tried 180 grn pills on pigs, but pigs isn't the reason I have a 338win.

For discussion I also have a couple of 375's. They also are set up for different applications & in no way compromise my appreciation for the 338 win.

Sharkey

Edit to add.
    I also have hoarded several hundred 225 grn failsafe pills in 338. If one can source these pills, they lift the performance & reliability of this chambering well into the realm of large bovids without any thought of recoil.
    Last edited by sharkey; 29-07-2015 at 12:01.
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian 1 View Post
    As long as you are a member of a club hose range is approved for .338 LM then there is no reason why you may not acquire one, however it is unlikely that the police would allow you to use one for hunting, though I know two people who are allowed to hunt with their .338LMs.
    no reason why not
    they will condition anything you want if you justify it

"I want one rifle for pigs, forest red, plains game and moose" - done

Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    I think it is deemed a bit powerful by the powers that be. Though given how popular boar shooting is becoming we might see more of it.

AB, surprising you don't see more of it in your neck of the woods - given it was developed for Alaska I'd have thought you guys would have been all over it.

ATB,

Scrummy
    It is a bit odd really . There is a no mans land here between the 300WM and the 9.3 X62 . You'll run into the odd 338, 35 Whelen , etc , but not to many . The most common big bores around here are the 375 H&H and 45/70 . The 45/70 is , by a huge margin , the most popular large bore in Alberta . Mind you , it's been in constant use for over one hundred years so it had a bit of a head start lol .

I had a Smith & Wesson Model 1500 ? ( Howa ) in 338 WM a few years back . It was a very accurate , reliable rifle . It ticked all the boxes for a big game rifle , but for some reason or another , it just didn't float my boat . I traded it for a rebarreled Ruger M77 in 358 W that was just about perfect for everything . I gave the 358 to a good friend who guides for bear in the BC interior , he still has it and it's saved his skin on a few occasions . To be honest brother , I couldn't tell you why it never caught on , it's a great round that will cover a lot of ground , it's just one of those things.

AB
    Last edited by alberta boy; 03-08-2015 at 21:20.

I know an old fellow in his 90s who is selling off some rifles and shotguns he will never use.. including a M70 Supergrade .338 WM new in the box, for probably around $1,000. It is tempting, but I have it covered for my hunting, with the .375 H&H.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    I guess it just depends on where you live The .338 Win is common in these parts. Way over gun for anything around here, nothing the less, it definetly has a following. One of my elk hunting buddies has one of those Thompson Center Contender single shot rifles chambered in it. He asked me if I wanted to shoot it once, I declined.