Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When a shot isn't good.

When a shot isn't good.

Backlash on the news this morning regards Cecil the Lion, emphasis being laid on "40 hours to die", one badly placed shot either by arrow, bolt or bullet can have serious effect on us all.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Finny, there seems to be more information coming from the media about this progressive story. They have arrested 2 people, a local farmer and the PH I believe. Its also reported that the landowner did not have a CITIES permit to take a Lion.

My take on this at the moment is that the landowner knew the Lion was near his boundry, quite possibly bordering Wankie park and told the PH, who had a client for a Lion hunt. Taking the Lion on ground without a permit attached and then wounding said Lion and pursuing it into the national park to dispatch it.

Possibly reported to the authorities by a local person working for the PH or the farmer. But who really knows.........only those that committed the act.

Either way it does no good for hunting, and as I have said in another thread, all honest, ethical professional hunters need to distance themselves from such people who attempt or undertake illegal practices, if indeed it was an illegal act. Time will tell, as with most things.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Well, the fact that Cecil was a known individual, and the suspicion that the hunter bribed various people to make it happen, and that the lion was lured out of the park don't really help!

Some people's decision making is astonishingly questionable!

As a consequence of our actions an animal dies. We have an absolute responsibility to ensure that we do what we do as efficiently as we can. This means reducing variables to a sensible minimum. Weapon, distance backup.

Sikamalc, you have a very good take on this story which I would say is very close to the truth of the matter. More will come out in court next week no doubt.

What is certain is that this guy has done us a lot of harm in terms of reputation and PR. Most people don't really distinguish between different sorts of hunting, it's all alien to them, and it only takes one bad egg to undo a lot of good work. I've just come back from lunch with colleagues and one of the girls is from Zimbabwe. This lion is apparently a local celebrity. She was genuinely sad and quite angry, and just said "Hunting shoot be banned pure and simple" with such verve and feeling that I decided, just on this one particular occasion, that I was going to let it go, which isn't my style. Wrong time to make a stand, because this bloke has for now scuppered any rational argument I can make, and I've made them lots of times successfully too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    What is certain is that this guy has done us a lot of harm in terms of reputation and PR. Most people don't really distinguish between different sorts of hunting, it's all alien to them, and it only takes one bad egg to undo a lot of good work. I've just come back from lunch with colleagues and one of the girls is from Zimbabwe. This lion is apparently a local celebrity. She was genuinely sad and quite angry, and just said "Hunting shoot be banned pure and simple" with such verve and feeling that I decided, just on this one particular occasion, that I was going to let it go, which isn't my style. Wrong time to make a stand, because this bloke has for now scuppered any rational argument I can make, and I've made them lots of times successfully too.
    Well said. I used to spend time and energy defending shooting but the actions of some people make it harder and harder.

Reckon a lot of cases will be getting a rough ride this next few weeks.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    She was genuinely sad and quite angry, and just said "Hunting should be banned pure and simple" with [...] verve and feeling. [...] This bloke has for now scuppered any rational argument I can make.
    What has scuppered your rational argument is an attitude that regards spontaneous emotion as a justifiable substitute for reasonable reflection, and leaping to judgement as preferable to honest enquiry.

Silly girl.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

It's more about timing. She's not going to be receptive to anything I have to say now. Let it die down for a week or so, then we can talk again.