Thread: Return of the smaller buck - is the rut about to really start?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Return of the smaller buck - is the rut about to really start?

I haven't seen this buck since 26 May, when he was seen off by a slightly bigger buck (Bucks fighting).

Hopefully his return means that the rut is really about to get going. I tried a couple of calls on the Buttolo and his head went up. He eventually made his way across the field to me, though with no real sense of purpose.

For those of a technical bent, these photos are taken with my new (to me) 500mm f4 Nikon. It's manual focus, which is going to take some getting used to. The lens was supported by a monopod, but I think I'm going to have to wheel out the tripod before too long.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

That last photo looks like he's offering a "perfect heart and lung shot"!
    Just out of interest what sort of distance away from you was he when you took the last photo?
    The manual focus lens might take some getting used to but it looks like it gives great results in your hands.
    Quality photos!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    That last photo looks like he's offering a "perfect heart and lung shot"!
    Just out of interest what sort of distance away from you was he when you took the last photo?
    The manual focus lens might take some getting used to but it looks like it gives great results in your hands.
    Quality photos!
    Thank you.

Yes, even though I'm out with a camera I still can't help drawing that imaginary line up the back of the front leg

I would think the buck was between 50-60 meters away - the last three photos were all taken from pretty much the same spot, but I cropped the last two as by this stage I had the camera at an angle so needed to straighten the image up before posting.

This lens has a great reputation. For these photos I had it wide open at F4 with a shutter speed of 1/500, which is really the minimum for this lens when not on a tripod as the lens on its own weighs about 3kg (around 6.5 pounds in old money). With four dogs, though, carrying the camera and the tripod would be starting to get too much of a handful - with the monopod I can just about cope.

I'm happy with the photos as a first attempt "in the field" with the lens. The ISO was 2000, which is why there's quite a bit of noise on the photo. The sun was trying to break through the clouds, and I was hoping the light was going to improve enough to reduce the aperture, reduce the ISO or increase the shutter speed, but sadly it wasn't to be. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Once again thanks for sharing your fantastic photos, it's becoming a pleasant part of my morning...

He looks ready for the rut. Look at the size of his neck.

I might have to have aook at this camera at the weekend.