Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ruger 1022 advice

ruger 1022 advice

Hi guys, iv recently brought a ruger 1022 and taken it out the zero after buying a new scope and mod but cant seem to get it to hold zero. Iv tried a few different bullets but still have trouble getting it to group at around 65 yards. Any tips or advice would be great as im running out of ideas. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C.Metcalf View Post
    Hi guys, iv recently brought a ruger 1022 and taken it out the zero after buying a new scope and mod but cant seem to get it to hold zero. Iv tried a few different bullets but still have trouble getting it to group at around 65 yards. Any tips or advice would be great as im running out of ideas. Thanks
    Is your problem holding a zero or poor grouping? Start with removing the front barrel band and shooting it like that.~Muir

Forgot to mention it has a delux stock on it so hasnt got the barrel band on it. Its grouping in about a 5inch radius so not great

Is your scope nipped up nice and firm in the rings.

Is the rifle new or S/H, is the mod new or S/H, is the mod on tight ?, is the mod strippable? has it been assembled correctly ?, are you using a fixed bipod on the fore end ? what ammo are you using through it?

Just stupid things I've come up against in the past regarding Mods,Bipods, & Ammo and POI

Iv double checked my scopes nipped up, its a second hand rifle out of a gunshop but a new scope and also a new sak mod. Iv tried eley, cci and winchester x's and still a poor result. I was using a harris bipod to zero and also a sand bag. :/

If it's just come from a gun shop then they probably cleaned it which screws up the whole accuracy.

How many rounds have you fired since you picked it up?

If you haven't dirtied it with 200 - 250 then I'd suggest you fire away and report back later - and then don't clean it again!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Mine was rubbish when I got it. Very old one. Cleaned it. Messed about will barrel band. Best improvement came from tightening up the bedding with heavy duty repair tape-the hard plastic sort-on sides and back of receiver. Reduced sear engagement the same way (I'll use brass shim as a permanent solution there) I'm now getting 1.5" at 50 yds with Ely hollow subs so more to do but I understand that is par for a standard barreled 10/22.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    Mine was rubbish when I got it. Very old one. Cleaned it. Messed about will barrel band. Best improvement came from tightening up the bedding with heavy duty repair tape-the hard plastic sort-on sides and back of receiver. Reduced sear engagement the same way (I'll use brass shim as a permanent solution there) I'm now getting 1.5" at 50 yds with Ely hollow subs so more to do but I understand that is par for a standard barreled 10/22.
    Good grief that's quite a spread.

Maybe check the two allen key screws on the barrel retaining wedge . I've seen a few that were loose over the years , including one that I bought new . Just a thought .

AB