Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big cats

Big cats

Hi guys any of you lamped a big cat while out foxing, I Did some years ago in my lurcher days. Me and two good freinds out lamping for rabbits and fox lit up a feild only to see a large black cat, It turned and made off taking about 7 feet strides whith three lurchers in persuit. (it got away) They are out there.

I have not lamped a big cat. i have not seen a big cat, but i have seen some strange markings on rocks in wales (possibly cat, possibly someone with a knife trying to make claw marks on a rock) i have heard all the storys, i have even attended farms where a sighting has been made mins before i arrive, only to find a big FAT NOTHING! Im not sure if they are out thier or not, and to be honest i do not really care.

Skipp. (forever the optimist, sorry )

A mate who doesn't ******** once described how once out stalking in Scotland, something growled from a nearby bush and then exploded thorugh the undergrowth.

He was honest and admitted that he was more scared than curious so didn't really get a good look but it was large, moved very fast and the growl sounded cat like.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lived in a small village bear Stanstead Airport, Essex for some times and there was a rumour about an old excentric farmer who got a couple of large cats, he lived alone and inevitably his health declined. Anyway, the old boy died in a hospice but no-one ever knew what happened to the cats.

Some years later and the wife was walking the lab down a country lane to check our pheasant pens. Anyway, the dog started to act weird resulting in it cowering with its tail between its leg and whining. Whilst dealing with the dog, something large and dark bolted across the lane near her - too big for a fox and too fast for a dog.

They're definately out there....there's absolutrely no reason why a cat like a cougar or larger couldn't survive.

i spent many years in the Peak district as a caver (pot holing) i once made my way down a cave in lathkill dale, a very very narrow passage no bigger than one man wide. as i crawled in and made way down the cave tunnel i could smell "stink" and hear scurrying about. of course i ventured further, only to be confronted by a set of eyes and a growl that made me "LITTERALLY POO MYSELF" i had to wiggle backwards for about 15meters until i came back out, feet first to the surface. i was in a real state of fear at this point and did not go back inside for another look. I am 90% sure it was a badger that was infront of me, but who knows. when your in a position like that instinct takes over, everything about that incidient said this is very very wrong, GET OUT OF THERE! i think i have a piccy somewher, i will try and upload it!

Skipp.

Last edited by skippy1001; 19-04-2010 at 22:44.

I heard on the grapevine, from a reliable source, that one got shot in this neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Marky610 View Post
    I heard on the grapevine, from a reliable source, that one got shot in this neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago.
    When it comes to tales of big cats, I'm afraid the only "reliable source" I'll put any faith in is my own eyes. Failing that, a report with photos of one which has been shot, and dumped at the local cop shop. It would have to be done that way, because I dare say that anyone proudly trumpeting "I've shot the beast of Bodmin" would soon get a visit from plod wanting to know why he's been shooting quarry not listed in the conditions on his FAC.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

A good freind of mine, and not of the bull S*****g mind, showed me a set of pictures taken on his phone whilst stalking. The first one was a large paw print with the mag of his Tikka long action for scale, the print was longer than the clip. The second few pictures were of the prints leading through a wood until he lost them. The gap betwix the prints was longer than a 24" barrled Tikka with a T8 on. Next time I see him I shall try and get the pics off him to show you. Unfortunatly I cant remember where he was stalking

Im glad of my "All other quarry" condition now, though I think I may be undergunned with a .243

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Please can anyone tell me why in every story about these big cat sightings they are black?

There is no such species as a "black panther"! They are a relatively rare genetic mutation from the leopard/jaguar family. If people were seeing brown ones, patterned ones, even pink with sky blue dots i might have more chance of believeing the stories than when every single one being sighted is black

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Both times I saw one it was black, as was the (same) ones seen by locals.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Please can anyone tell me why in every story about these big cat sightings they are black?

There is no such species as a "black panther"! They are a relatively rare genetic mutation from the leopard/jaguar family. If people were seeing brown ones, patterned ones, even pink with sky blue dots i might have more chance of believeing the stories than when every single one being sighted is black

ft
    Whilst true in the context of the overall leopard population there are parts of the world where the melanistic leopard (black panther) is actually fairly common to the extent of outnumbering the more conventionally coloured leopards. Malaysia is one such area.

I've also wondered about the high incidence of black cats in these reports. The important point is that the cats in the UK would be the result of the release of captive cats and black panthers would have been more popular in this respect than normal leopards so there was a significant possibility that any released leopards would have been black and very few normal leopards would have kept or released in the same way.

What intrigues me more is that the cats are often described as "black cougars". Black cougars are virtually unknown in the wild and the only way to account for these if indeed they are black cougar is that given that, if these cats exist, they are going to be thin on the ground and to find a natural mate is going to be difficult, just maybe a black leopard can mate with a cougar to produce melanistic offspring that look like a cougar.

I have no doubt that there are (or certainly were) cats at large in the UK countryside, too many reliable and sane people have reported seeing them. Our climate is fine for them, with our deer population and farm animals they can clearly survive, and even where they are common they are not easy to see. My main doubt about their continued existence is whether or not they can find a mate and procreate.
    Last edited by paul k; 20-04-2010 at 09:07.