smokey varget

tignme

I have been reloading 22.250 for 4 yrs and only ever used Varget.
I find it very smokey when fired. (cant see strike)
Is this normal and if so what powder would be better.
im on my last half tub so may need to change anyway due to none at RFD.

Never used it so can't really say if varget is usually particularly smoky.....

but out is it the first shot that usually produces the smoke (or are all subsequent shots as smoky as the first)?

If just the first, do you apply oil to your barrel or moderator between outings (and not clean it out before the first shot)?

I use varget in 22-250 no smoke to worry about certainly dosnt obscure target have used tr140 to good effect but superfomance is smokier.

Can't see strike as in there's smoke coming out of your barrel or you cannot see the firing pin dent on the primer as its full of sood?

Are you using a mod?

I use 35.5 Varget behind a 55gr Sierra Blitzking. It leaves a bit of carbon in the barrel but never noticed it being especially smokey!

Big cloud of smoke every shot obscuring strike/kill.
current gun is browning x bolt.
Have had 5 x 22.250s this is only one to do it.
34.1 varget behind sierra gamekings.55 grains.
Shot a fox other eve and my lamping mate could not see strike/kill for smoke.
Charlie dead though.

Big cloud of smoke every shot obscuring strike/kill.
current gun is browning x bolt.
Have had 5 x 22.250s this is only one to do it.
34.1 varget behind sierra gamekings.55 grains.
Shot a fox other eve and my lamping mate could not see strike/kill for smoke.
Charlie dead though.
There should be nothing making a cloud so smoke as you describe. Has this been all from the same tub of powder? Your load is minimum charge but that shouldn't do anything. ~Muir

Can I suggest you put a target up and shoot with no mod on the rifle to see if it makes a difference. Smokeless powder like Varget is just that - smokeless

As palmer-mike suggested in the first reply it's almost certainly oil or cleaner from the moderator or barrel causing the smoke.
It's not called smokeless powder for nothing.

Will clean barrel n mod again.
Will shoot with both mod on n off.

As recommended by gunsmith i use wd40 in mod after every outing regardless of whether i shoot or not.
Barrel the same.(not wd40)
Using last half tub ( varget) of three purchased beginning of 2014.

Last edited:
WD40 will leave a cloud if you've applied it liberally..... I personally don't worry too much about cleaning the mod, guess it depends what you have on it, but mines a PES and built like a tank, I know in the past when I was more precious and used WD40 I got what you are describing....

i used to spray WD40 in my T8 and like you i had a cloud of smoke and could not see the strike
i stopped using it and heh presto NO SMOKE
i would fire of 10 or 15 shots and burn off the WD40 in the mod then you should be good to go

I have used silicone spray lubricant in my steel ASE mod for the last 10 years. It smokes far less than WD40, and seems to protect from rust just as well.

Back