Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: types of bullet.

types of bullet.

hi, im pretty new to rifles and was wondering if someone could shed some light on the difrent kinds of bullet, i understand that the tip of the bullet is varied to control the rate of expantion and i understand: hollow tips and soft noses but i know nothing about balistic tips or polymer tips,

thankyou in advance

Balistic/polymer tips are one and the same ! They are also hollow point bullets that have the plastic insert that is to stop damage to the bullet and then help with expansion . Soft point is a hollow point jacket with the lead core exposed.

I think there was also a problem with some expanding hollow points whereby the "hole" would become plugged with something, maybe even skin or fur on entering, and this would prevent expansion. So, the plastic tip prevented the hole getting plugged and was designed that it initiated expansion. Because of a bad press, mostly relating to very early version of the bullets before the design was perfected from what I can gather, some stalkers will not allow you to use ballistic tips on their ground/deer. I suspect there is probably no grounds for this position where modern bullets designed for big game are concerned but it is worth checking if you were intending to buy or load ballistic tips and take them stalking.

There are also some soft point bullets, such as the Nosler Partition, which have two lead cores. The front core is exposed at the tip and designed for controlled expansion but it is seperated from the rear section of the lead core by a "partition" in the jacket of the bullet that aims to prevent the bullet losing mass or breaking up when striking an animal. Such premium bullets tend to be more expensive and are probably not necessary for most shots taken on UK deer but they are yet another option to add to your list of bullet types.

thankyou for the help, it cleared it all up for me.
    im guessing that the reason for the partition bullet is so that you dont loose bits of lead in the carcass or split open the bowels with a strey bit of lead?

atb

I know that this is only one manufacturer, but their website may provide you with information on the differneces within their range, ie. Ballistic Tips, Partitions etc etc

http://www.nosler.com/bullets.htm

Best

Peter

thanks , il have a look

atb

"I think there was also a problem with some expanding hollow points whereby the "hole" would become plugged with something, maybe even skin or fur on entering, and this would prevent expansion. So, the plastic tip prevented the hole getting plugged and was designed that it initiated expansion."

I know you probably read this someplace but really, if you think of it, does this theory make any sense?? Ballistic tips add ballistic coefficient without adding weight due to added length. They also have the benefit of not deforming in the magazine during the back and forth thrust of recoil. (
    The original "ballistic tip" was Norma factory ammo which had a small plastic bead in the nose.) In practice, the pointy tips often break off on impact with the target.

Hollow points and soft points did fine for many, many decades before the advent of "ballistic tips".~Muir

Hi Rookie

The partition bullet will still litter the carcass with bits of lead because the front core is designed the same as any other conventional bullet with a jacket and non bonded core. The role of the partition is to stop the expansion of the bullet at a point where there is enough retained mass to continue driving through the animals body. If you are concerned about lead fragments the only way to avoid them is to use a non lead bullet e.g. barnes tsx as all expanding lead core bullets will lose some mass on impact (guess where the lost mass goes to!)

Cheers

Simon

aha thankyou foe all the advice/ descriptions.

im not to bothered about where the lead goes i can just pick it out wont do me any harm :p

You are more at risk from the crap they put in your teeth fillings than dying from lead in shot venison!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!