Found a very large cartridge case on the banks of the River Tyne near Dunbar

Heym SR20

I found at the weekend, in the mud on the banks of the river Tyne in the John Muir Country Park what looks to be a 20mm cannon shell. Probably from WW2, but perhaps there used to be much larger game running around East Lothian that needed something a bit more than the 243????

Ahh yes, apparently they used them on wild haggis..!

Dangerous creatures so I hear you need a hefty round to fell them hehe! .50 BMG wont cut it.

Cool find though! Got any pics? :)

Do you have any photos? A friend of mine found something similar in his garden near Kingston and I'd be interested to see if it's the same.

Call that large :)

This is large mate :D

(My mate Janos holding the shell I found)

Janosshell.jpg

MainGunsDJ.jpg

lucky lad some nice war dive pix mty but this is a case View attachment 59657 4.5 inch next to a 40mm next to a 30mm rarden with a 12g star distress wildfowling shell just to give it some idea of size , but I would have loved to done diving as a lad must be a real buz mind you I would have to find away of getting the scrap up and sold :doh:

A gunnery range dating from World War II lies within the area of the John Muir Country Park to to the west of Dunbar, East Lothian. The largest feature within the park is a large T-shaped sandbar known as Spike Island, surrounded by salt marshes and lying to the west of Belhaven Bay.
Much of the east coast was considered to be at risk of invasion by German troops stationed in occupied Norway, and a number of coastal defences can still be found there, such as the numerous anti-glider posts, and the rubble of a former concrete observation post to the extreme west. Hedderwick Hill Plantation overlooks the bay, and was a wartime training area, where some related structures can still be seen. X-Craft were moored/scuttled in Aberlady Bay, East Lothian, in 1946 and used for aircraft gunnery practice.

lucky lad some nice war dive pix mty but this is a case View attachment 59657 4.5 inch next to a 40mm next to a 30mm rarden with a 12g star distress wildfowling shell just to give it some idea of size , but I would have loved to done diving as a lad must be a real buz mind you I would have to find away of getting the scrap up and sold :doh:

Feck me you do have some random stuff in that shed of yours Paul its almost worth a day out..! :D

lucky lad some nice war dive pix mty but this is a case 4.5 inch next to a 40mm next to a 30mm rarden with a 12g star distress wildfowling shell just to give it some idea of size , but I would have loved to done diving as a lad must be a real buz mind you I would have to find away of getting the scrap up and sold :doh:

Lift bags mate

they do them up to 5 ton

Personaly I prefer small stuff

1stporthole.jpg

Porthole3.jpg

Just thinking what was the last thing that anyone saw at the time of sinking ? poor sods but its fab the gear just waiting to be found I used to do war digs so got a few bits and bobs around, one day i'll get all the stuff in one place lol while taking the pix of the shells found a bazooka sight ww2 in the box of bits still looks like the day it was lost just a bit bent glass is A1, ww1 binos both sides very good still able to use them both but the English are the best one's lol a London maker 1 of 300 made of the type

Back