Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Lee Classic Loader Advice

First Lee Classic Loader Advice: Updated as progressing

Right I've had the Lee classic loader for a while now in 243.

I have over 100 used Privi rounds that I kept the brass from.
    I have also (hopefully) acquired a set of RCBS 505 powder scales.

I figure I'd better get around to knocking a few rounds up, I'm just wondering what would be a good powder to look for ?
    I am thinking of looking for some 80-90gr type bullets that would cross over from fox to deer use.

Please correct me if wrong (Or need anything extra) but I'll be on the lookout for

1) Large rifle primers
    2) Bullet heads
    3) Powder

And I'm good to go right ?

PS has anyone used the powder scoop that comes with the kit ? Is this reliable (AND SAFE) ? As the owner of the 505 scales is getting back to me today to arrange payment.
    Last edited by Lloyd90; 31-07-2015 at 20:53.

I also have a primer pocket cleaning tool from lee, and a chamfer thing for the case mouth to use with mine.

I use scales, but if you use the scope with the recipe's within the lee loader instructions my understanding is that its safe. But obviously doesn't allow ou to experiment with different powder weights.

Spoke to the local gun they have a mix of different powders from Hogden, Ramshot and Alliant I believe. They also said the bullet heads they have are from hornady.

Having the scales would allow me to try different powder weights so hoping they come through alright

When I get home will check the load date that came with the kit and see if any of the powders match up

You'll also need a hammer of course.

Ah yes, I've already got one of these 2 sided nylon / plastic hammers for the job. IF / WHEN I get to it I shall be posting here with the steps so you can tell me whether or not they're going to blow me up before firing lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post

I figure I'd better get around to knocking a few rounds up, I'm just wondering what would be a good powder to look for ?
    I am thinking of looking for some 80-90gr type bullets that would cross over from fox to deer use.

Please correct me if wrong (Or need anything extra) but I'll be on the lookout for

1) Large rifle primers
    2) Bullet heads
    3) Powder

PS has anyone used the powder scoop that comes with the kit ? Is this reliable (AND SAFE) ? As the owner of the 505 scales is getting back to me today to arrange payment.
    You know? Lee has produced and sold the Classic Loader for half a century, with millions of shooters who have happily used them. I still use them. I have sets of scoops I use for charging cases.
    It cracks me up to read a question like, "Are the scoops safe?" What do you think? After 50 years you'd think you might have heard if they weren't. Follow the instructions with the kit. Use the scoop. Enjoy yourself.~Muir

1) Large rifle primers
    2) Bullet heads
    3) Powder

get a scoop kit
    Lee Powder Measure Scoop Kit - Reloading - Gun Shop, Shotguns, Rifles, Pistols, Air Rifles, Airguns, Gun Trader, Rifle Scopes, Accessories, Cabinets, Safes in Dorset and Devon, UK, Sportsman Gun Centre

comes with chart for all powders

personally I would go with N140 or N160 but there are lots of options for .243 in 80-90 range

Would you favour the scoop kit over the scales ?I'm not looking for match accuracy just hunting rounds.

I know what your saying Muir, but you also see a lot of people telling you to be careful etc and when you haven't done it before you don't want to get it wrong.

It looks like R - Hunter (Ramshot) is on the load chart for various weights (87,90,100,107) and will give 37.5 grains of powder with the 2.5CC dipper provided. Going to head down and have a look at what bullet heads they have in and hopefully can find something to match up nicely.

Would you favour the scoop kit over the scales ?I'm not looking for match accuracy just hunting rounds.

I know what your saying Muir, but you also see a lot of people telling you to be careful etc and when you haven't done it before you don't want to get it wrong.
    you have as much chance of fecking up weighing with scales as you do with scoops...potentially more.
    once a scoop is full it can't be any fuller!

first sheet right hand side is the lee data superimposed onto a scoop chart for N160

get your scoop technique down and you will not only throw more accurate and repeatable charges than most powder throwers it will be quicker!

Lee Loader Data N160/N165/N133 .270 .243 .222 - Google Sheets