Thread: Bino Servicing

Bino Servicing

Often see users reference sending their top range Binos for servicing. What does an average service cost and how frequently do you have to service them (say range finders -Swarovski , Zeiss, Leica)
    thx

Hi

My impression is that any high-end bino that has a 'problem' is sent back to the manufacturer who 'services' it. From recollection very few if any charge for this as most have a warranty of upto 25? years. My Swarovski, of 25 yr vintage were not as clear as used to be - serviced in Austria (through Swarovski UK) at no charge. It would seem this is in part what you pay for up front.

Not sure about the recommended service intervals whether binos or rangefinding ones - as with all things manufacturers would have this done (as in cars) 'regular'.......

I recall that binos with rangefinding built in are different in that the electronics are not covered for the length of the bino warranty - recall about a 2years on this part of them.

L

Older/vintage binos/scopes seem to get sent to the few private Optical Repair/Service that are around.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Hi

My impression is that any high-end bino that has a 'problem' is sent back to the manufacturer who 'services' it. From recollection very few if any charge for this as most have a warranty of upto 25? years. My Swarovski, of 25 yr vintage were not as clear as used to be - serviced in Austria (through Swarovski UK) at no charge. It would seem this is in part what you pay for up front.

Not sure about the recommended service intervals whether binos or rangefinding ones - as with all things manufacturers would have this done (as in cars) 'regular'.......

I recall that binos with rangefinding built in are different in that the electronics are not covered for the length of the bino warranty - recall about a 2years on this part of them.

L

Older/vintage binos/scopes seem to get sent to the few private Optical Repair/Service that are around.
    You fork out over 2g on a pair of German RF, are these meant to be indestructible ? Wouldn't expect to have to pay

My 15 year old Swarovski 10 x 42 EL are just needing a service now as the casing is coming a bit loose
    My wife's Swarovski bins have been refurbished once about ten years ago and they came back looking and feeling like new In 2013 she got them full of water and they went off to Austria and were back in 10 days - like new again and FOC on both occasions
    A dealer told me on Thursday that they are only giving out ten year guarantees now - something to do with European legislation
    ED

Quote Originally Posted by blaire View Post
    You fork out over 2g on a pair of German RF, are these meant to be indestructible ? Wouldn't expect to have to pay

Hi

Irrespective of initial cost I am sure, based on other posts on the web, that the electronic part of RF binos only has a limited warranty cover of about 2 yrs? A search on SD will pull up some experiences.

Whilst 'good-will' gestures are sure to be found by manufacturers some end-users will pay - not unlike cars, 3yr/10yr (engine/bodywork) but plenty of wriggle room for the manufacturer when they or the garage choose to........

Another example I have come across is electrical equipment - the EU made warranty on these a standard 2yrs many years ago - you try finding a manufacturer/retailer in the UK informed on this let alone complying unless pressed hard......

L